Railroad Forums 

• Door To Another Universe

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#29304  by vanshnookenraggen

No, that can bee seen on the inbound platform. This is further down the tunnel towards Arlington.

#29444  by astrosa

About the ventilator shaft in the cemetery, that's the Old Granary Burial Grounds next to Kings Chapel at the corner of Tremont and School St. About 10 years ago my mom worked as a tour guide there, and they used to jokingly refer to it as "The Entrance to the Underworld" or something like that. And they probably did use that line on tourists, too, since it almost looks convincing until you hear the trains going by. I'm not sure why it's such an ornate structure instead of just being a grate in the ground.

But considering the location in a cemetery, and also that Kings Chapel has crypts in the basement containing the bones of old deceased ones - just a few yards away from the ventilator shaft - it's a very fitting joke!

And yeah, I remember reading an article in the Boston Globe a couple years ago where the reporter went on a very private tour into the abandoned Tremont tunnel. I think the tour group consisted of an MBTA official, the reporter, and a woman who could supposedly connect with the ghosts of workers who died while building the tunnel or something like that. I think it said that there were still rotting ties and rusted rails down in there, and that there was trash or junk everywhere. Pretty spooky (and unsafe), apparently...

#29450  by efin98

I think that a similar article off of a website if not the same article was posted here long ago and came to a similar conclusion about the Tremont Tunnel. They had photographic proof though, but that is open to interpretation depending on how much you believe in the paranormal.
Sent a chill down my spine anyway, and I don't scare easily :P

#29904  by Xplorer2000

Now here's a curious line of thought.....are there places on the subway system that are claimed to be haunted??? There's always urban legends about this kind if thing , but does anyone out there know of them? I mean , heck, we have a trolley line that goes right through one cemetary(Cedar Grove in Dorchester), and probably displaced graves in several others on the Green Line (never wise, disturbing the dead....). Any other odd instances of " Things that go bump in the Night" out there on the "T"???

#30040  by astrosa

Well, going back to the Old Granary Burial Ground and its ventilator shaft, I believe Kings Chapel did some expansion work or something at one point, which meant they did relocate some graves, but I don't think that was related to T work.

Aside from that, nothing else I know of...