Railroad Forums 

• Main Line El Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1541455  by The MTA Blue Egg

Anyone know where I can get clearance drawings for No. 9/10, and No.11 Main Line Elevated Cars? I need dimensions for drawings I'm trying to do.
Thanks in advance. Everyone stay safe.
 #1541491  by MBTA3247

I expect that Seashore Trolley Museum has a set, but the travel restrictions in Maine mean there may not be anyone available to make a copy for you.
 #1541530  by The MTA Blue Egg

I think your right. I know the 9/10 cars must be narrower than the 7/8 cars due to the outside hung doors, and the window spacing isn't the same. The late Gerry O'Reagan sent me a PDF of 9/10 cars he drew, but I question some of the measurements on it. I'd like to do some CAD drawings of the 9/10s and the number 11s (My all time fav. R.T. cars) in the hope of modeling them.
If someone has some specs tucked away, please let me know.
 #1541650  by Leo Sullivan

[attachment=0]#9 Elevated-8.30.43-.jpgThis
Attachments:
#9 Elevated-8.30.43-.jpg
#9 Elevated-8.30.43-.jpg (247.85 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
 #1541754  by Leo Sullivan

Just noticed that you asked for an 11 .
I don't haave a clean copy but the numbers are mstly there.
LS
Attachments:
#11 El car.jpg
#11 El car.jpg (276.8 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
 #1541828  by The MTA Blue Egg

Thank you for the No. 11 spec. sheet. These are my all time favorite cars. Going to Everett Sta. on a hot day with the communicator door wide open on the front car as the motorman had the cab door with a braced foot making sure everyone didn't get too close to the open door,is a great memory.(The door was quickly shut when the train reached the incline from the el to the surface.) They rode practically noiseless so you could hear the track music on the el. (they were ruined by the Haymarket-North)
Thanks Again Leo
 #1541849  by Charliemta

Yes, I remember fondly the No. 11 cars as well. Before the Red Line got its Silverbird cars around 1963 or so (as I recall), the old Red Line cars were very noisy. When I'd get off one of those at Washington Street and on to a No. 11 car, boy they were the smoothest, quietest ride ever. They just glided along, as if on air. I used to love being in the front car looking out the front widow straight ahead as it made its way along the Charlestown el. Great memories of when I was a kid.
 #1541852  by MBTA3247

You mean the Bluebirds. The Silverbirds arrived in 1969.
 #1541910  by typesix

Charliemta wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:07 pm Yes, I remember fondly the No. 11 cars as well.... They just glided along, as if on air...
Those cars are believed to be the first mass production application of air springs in a vehicle, according to American Society of Mechanical Engineers. The 1963 Bluebirds turned out crappy due to cost cutting measures when ordered.
 #1542218  by Charliemta

MBTA3247 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:52 pm You mean the Bluebirds. The Silverbirds arrived in 1969.
You're right. Slip of the tongue on my part.