Railroad Forums 

• A skyscraper is headed for South Station in downtown Boston.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1530923  by Traingeek3629

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:05 pm In the San Francisco development mentioned, apparently the new terminal for Caltrain, AC Transit, and others is to be called the Salesforce Terminal (rather than Eastbay or something similar). Somehow I have trouble imagining an Avelia being announced in Penn Station as leaving for Route 128, Back Bay, and Salesforce ...

Let's all hope they continue to call it South Station.
Not to get off topic...

but as a salesforce employee that sounds pretty sweet!
 #1530971  by danib62

ExCon90 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Let's all hope they continue to call it South Station.
You mean the Governor Michael S. Dukakis Transportation Center at South Station :wink:
 #1530975  by HenryAlan

Train60 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm One has to wonder what impact this will have on either South Station Expansion or North-South Rail Link.
No impact. The building footings will be under the existing station profile, whereas both proposed NSRL alignments are not. Likewise, any expansion will be Eastward from where this building is located.
I cynic might say that the South Station Expansion project was effectively put on hold to allow for the this real estate project to move forward. The same person might wonder what the foundations of the new "mixed-use tower" will have on the alignments of any proposed North-South Rail Link.
They would be wrong. The video you posted makes this quite clear.
The icing on the cake is news that 895 new parking spaces will be built as part of this project.

Why in the world would anyone think it is okay to built 895 parking spaces at a location in downtown Boston that has transit connections to just about every other location in the Boston Metro area. (Answer - because this is all about the real estate, and has nothing to do with moving people via public transit.)
Agree that the parking is a questionable decision.
 #1531102  by artman

Train60 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 pm Intersested parties should look at this new website.
https://southstationairrights.com/

And then review the YouTube video on this link
https://southstationairrights.com/construction-schedule

One has to wonder what impact this will have on either South Station Expansion or North-South Rail Link.

I cynic might say that the South Station Expansion project was effectively put on hold to allow for the this real estate project to move forward. The same person might wonder what the foundations of the new "mixed-use tower" will have on the alignments of any proposed North-South Rail Link.

The icing on the cake is news that 895 new parking spaces will be built as part of this project.

Why in the world would anyone think it is okay to built 895 parking spaces at a location in downtown Boston that has transit connections to just about every other location in the Boston Metro area. (Answer - because this is all about the real estate, and has nothing to do with moving people via public transit.)
Clients of the future businesses will often need to drive to meet there. And, don't forget resident parking. There is very limited parking there now atop the bus terminal and living in Southern NH / Maine, I drive down to South Station and park there to catch Acela the NYC for the day (or overnight). Parking there for me has been helpful