Railroad Forums 

• MBTA rapid transit connections to the National Rail Network

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1529032  by BostonUrbEx

Existing External Connections:
Red Line — Cabot Yard to Middleboro Main Line via South Boston Lead, protected by split-point derail, brand-new/never used
Orange Line — Wellington Yard to Western Route Main Line via Medford Branch switchback, protected by wedge derail, last used for 01200 fleet delivery
Green Line — Riverside Yard to Worcester Main Line, protected by wedge derail, unknown last use

Existing Internal Connections:
Red Line/Mattapan High Speed Line — Codman Yard, unknown last use (likely semi-regular MOW use)

Former External Connections:
Blue Line — A connection existed at Frankfurt & Lovell to the East Boston Branch, last used for 0600 fleet delivery

Former Internal Connections:
Red Line/Blue Line — A street-running connection existed between the Blue Line's Joy St Portal and the Red Line's Kendall Sq incline, last used to ferry Blue Line cars to the Eliot Shops for servicing/repairs prior the construction of the Orient Heights Yard

With the new Red Line connection, smaller equipment (such as MOW pieces) could reach any point in the MBTA's rail and transit divisions, with the exception of the Blue Line.
 #1529066  by MBTA3247

I believe the connection at Riverside was last used in 1997 for shuttle trains after the central subway flooded.

There was also a connection between the Mattapan High Speed Line and the New Haven's Milton Branch at Central Avenue. I've seen photos suggesting it was used for delivering hoppers full of ballast, as recently as the '70s or '80s IIRC.
 #1529103  by dieciduej

The EGE wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:23 pm Do you have any photos or maps of the BL connection?
Not at hand Eggy but I remember the Boston Street Railway Association magazine, Rollsign, had a photo of the move in their September/October 1978 issue. The move was done early in the morning, 2 to 3 AM timeframe, via a special connection near the Wood Island Station.

Moving forward to today I believe those connections to the Blue Line are now part of the East Boston Greenway Connector (aka Rail Trail). Here is a link to an OpenRailway Map that show the area in question:

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/index.ph ... e=standard

Hope that helps.
 #1530432  by jonnhrr

Back in the 1960's a connection was added between the inbound Cambridge - Dorchester (now Red) Line and the then NH Old Colony main just South of Columbia Station (now JFK Umass) which was used to deliver the 01400 "Bluebirds". I'm not sure how long that connection was left in, probably removed when the South Shore extension to Quincy / Braintree was started.