Railroad Forums 

• Boston West Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1460751  by Arlington

Has West Station really never got its own thread??? (all I could find was a 2009 thread that got locked because it was too Urban-Ringy)

So I propose to discuss it here and separate from Framingham Worcester.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Station_(MBTA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For those joining late key elements are:
- Harvard will front a decent fraction of costs as it develops former CSX yards
- BU and Boston made token contributions
- Space is created bby Harvard/CSX deal (Turnpike can be straightened)
- Space is also created by e-tolling on the Turnpike (ramp & toll plazas eliminated)

Controversial bits are:
- State has said "2030 or later" despite Harvard's $ (now for both temporary and permanent platforms
- State seems to have killed-by-overdesigning; Instead of 4-track, 2 platform, they have 3 platform system.

=========================================

If you think West Station should be "worked on" between now and 2040, please submit this as a comment to the Mass State Rail Plan 2018, which is now taking comments.

Attn: Jennifer Slesinger - State Rail Plan
Massachusetts Department of Transportation
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4150
Boston, Ma 02116

or

Email: [email protected]

Visit the site: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/rail-plan
Read the draft plan: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... Comm_1.pdf
 #1460755  by BandA

wait, the rail plan document I just read says it isn't focusing on MBTA district projects.
Because of parallel
planning processes addressing the
future of Commuter Rail (Focus40 and
the MBTA Rail Vision), the State Rail Plan
is not a planning or policy document for
MBTA Commuter Rail.
 #1460768  by Arlington

That's odd, because the plan specifically rates the following MBTA-district projects as "Tier 1 Priority for Implementation"...these are 3 out of 5 Tier 1 projects:
- South Station Expansion (clearly in-district)
- South Coast Rail (clearly in-district)
- Improve SS Tower 1 (clearly in-district)
Last edited by CRail on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary nesting quotes removed.
 #1460951  by Trinnau

I think the rail plan is related to state-funded studies or plans, and includes some long-term vision involving MBTA territory. All those projects called out above are in the hands of MassDOT, not the MBTA. I think it discounts anything currently actively under more immediate plan at the MBTA, in other words anything that's in the state capital plan.
 #1460976  by Arlington

BandA wrote:Touche. And it mentions North-South Rail Link.
I've been persuaded that if we all have time to advocate/comment on the state rail plan, the NSRL is worth advocating (As "usable by Amtrak" is the filter) and not occasion for West Station advocacy.

So join me here for MBTA/West Station, and elsewhere for getting NSRL into the State plan
 #1461068  by BandA

I think NSRL should be built eventually, but I am skeptical of Gov. Dukakis et al saying it can be built for less than Billions.

Unless you build passenger service over the Grand Junction, a West Station is a very minor station. Boston Landing, Assembly Square and proposed River Works upgrade have set standards for the private developers to pay for stations. So nice to have, but if the developer (Harvard + BU) doesn't want to pay for it, why should the general public?

I can think of other projects that I'd like to see (public money go to) more than West Station. Second platforms+ADA for the three Newton stations, CR platform/short-turn facilities at Riverside, extension of Framingham trains to Framingham State then to a giant park & ride garage at the Framingham exit of the Mass Pike, some type of rail along 128, fare equity for the inner commuter rail stations like the Newton and Waltham stations... Hmm...maybe I should send my comments to the state rail plan.
 #1461228  by Bramdeisroberts

IIRC, Harvard was once considering a very ambitious project that would work beautifully with West Station, but from what I gather, that idea has been on the back burner for nearly a decade now. Though now that there's construction activity under the Harvard banner in Allston once more, they may be considering such a project once again, especially now that they're renovating Holyoke into the center of their campus.