Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Subway Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1463514  by Type 7 3684

Looks like they’re using minutes to measure delays again
Red Line (Braintree branch): 10 - 15 minute delays due to a disabled train with a power problem at JFK/UMass. This train is coming out of service.
 #1463604  by dieciduej

They are going with the very detailed information routine now. People want communication, you'll get communication!

JoeD
 #1463715  by MBTA3247

Given that Aquarium is going to be hit by flooding more and more frequently as time goes on, they really need to raise the entrances by at least a meter. All that seawater is not good for the tunnels.
 #1463719  by Disney Guy

Water that falls on the track will sink immediately through the ballast and end up on the concrete tunnel shell floor (invert). The water will then roll down the tunnel under the harbor.Then a bilge pump or sump pump down there have to pump the water back out and to the surface and into storm drains.

I would expect electrical and other equipment and cables above railhead level to not get wet except at the lowest point halfway to Maverick if enough water accumulated down there.
 #1463773  by BandA

The sandbags seemed to work. There was no water cascading down the steps. Apparently the elevator & escalator have been out of service since the last storm, which is ridiculous! This time the water was seeping through the roof of the station (i.e. sidewalk).
 #1464349  by Type 7 3684

Orange Line service suspended between North Station and Back Bay due to Boston Fire Department activity at State Street northbound.
 #1465167  by Type 7 3684

A disabled train with a wire issue at Boylston is causing 30+ minute westbound delays. Alert says service is not moving from North Station to Kenmore.
 #1465195  by Arlington

Is there also a cracked rail, ice jam, or something slowing the Orange Line between Community College and Assembly?
 #1467895  by Rbts Stn

I forget if we talk about the Silver Line here or don't as it's more of a bus than a train.

But since it's considered part of the MBTA's Rapid Transit by many, they had to close the tunnel due to falling concrete: http://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-silv ... e/19686306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1467896  by BostonUrbEx

Rbts Stn wrote:I forget if we talk about the Silver Line here or don't as it's more of a bus than a train.
I'm not a moderator, but I believe prior discussion has been that trolleybus discussion is allowed, diesel bus discussion is not. Since it pertains to the section where it runs on wire, I think you should be good.

It is back running now, but I heard that the tunnel is supposed to be closed this weekend for work, anyway. PAX East is this weekend, and I imagine PAX might be the single biggest convention the BCEC sees all year, so I can't imagine how that oversight was made.
 #1467905  by BandA

I'd like to see pictures from inside the tunnel where the concrete has fallen. And an explanation of how it is the adjacent contractors fault.
 #1467955  by CRail

Rbts Stn wrote:I forget if we talk about the Silver Line here or don't as it's more of a bus than a train.
It's not more of a bus, it IS a bus (that's a trigger, not your fault). That said, the current regime has a much softer attitude on bus talk than there has been in the past. I'm personally not against discussing buses at all, so as long as that liberty isn't abused and I'm not told to tighten it up, you don't need to be afraid to mention the B word.
 #1468074  by nomis

The Silver line is a “Fixed Guideway Transit System” as it pertains to the tunnels and Silver Line Way. Even though BRT also fills into the same overarching category, it’s the wires that make the “trolley” bus open for debate, especially as that portion is also designed for a trolley conversion in the future.