Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Commuter Rail Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1464964  by RenegadeMonster

Commuter rail will operate on the Extremely Reduced Schedule 3/13. This schedule is posted on mbta.com/schedules/commuter-rail
I believe this is the first time they have ever officially run on this "Extremely Reduced Schedule"
 #1465010  by deathtopumpkins

Looking at the "Extremely Reduced Schedules", they seem to be the normal Saturday ones with some extra trains as necessary to ensure there is still some rush hour service. These extra trains are numbered 7xxx (interesting choice of numbers).
 #1465049  by dbperry

My unofficial tracking list:

3/14/2017 - first implementation of "reduced" service after horrible 2015 winter
1/4/2018 - reduced service
3/13/2018 - extremely reduced service

That's everything for the 4/1/2015 to 3/13/2018 period.
 #1465792  by jboutiet

deathtopumpkins wrote:Looking at the "Extremely Reduced Schedules", they seem to be the normal Saturday ones with some extra trains as necessary to ensure there is still some rush hour service. These extra trains are numbered 7xxx (interesting choice of numbers).
The usage of 7xxx seems to follow this pattern:
- Only used for trains before what was the earliest train on that route (usually already numbered xx00, so there's no room for a new number preceding it)
- 2nd number (or 2nd and 3rd numbers in some cases) follows the established convention for that route
 #1466962  by sonicdoommario

Looks like an issue with one of the Providence train sets tonight. Train 823, the 4:53PM outbound train (which was using a set with control car 1800) broke down outside of South Station, so they backed into South Station and had to switch to another set. I think they went from 8 doubles to 4 doubles and a single.

They then try to use that same set for train 833 (7:30PM outbound), but it was still having issues and again the train had to be backed into South Station after departing to switch for another set. They have a couple more chances to get that set down to Pawtucket, otherwise either 806 or 808 tomorrow will be shafted with a pretty small set (both of which are 8 car trains).

From what I remember the Pawtucket layover usually has two 8 car sets (806 and 808), a 6 double car set (810), and then whatever's at hand for 800/802/804 (usually the 4 double/2 flat sets).
 #1467970  by sonicdoommario

Busted Amtrak train on the inbound side Thursday morning caused delays on the Providence line. Delayed 808, so train 810's set ran on 808's schedule from Providence outward while 808's set was used for 812.

I believe there was an Amtrak train earlier this week that broke down ahead of 842 and 808 and caused delays on the NEC.
 #1468932  by Diverging Route

Disabled freight on the NEC Track 1 between Mansfield and Attleboro this morning. Most AM trains between 0630 and 0800 took delays. According to T-Alerts, 843 terminated at Sharon, and 842 originated at Mansfield.
 #1469221  by Steve Wagner

Monday, April 16 (Patriots Day)

At about 5:30 this morning the electronic sign at Concord depot stated that the first inbound train from Wachusett (due to leave Concord at 5:41) hadn't even left the layover yard because of mechanical and switch problems. I drove to the Alewife garage, taking the only other would-be rider then at the station with me. Not a great way to start the workday, especially considering the weather.
 #1469304  by BandA

Ch 5 reported at 11PM that bricks falling from the Albany St overpass affected two of three tracks for a while today, that it was probably caused by the heavy rains today. Bricks?
 #1469396  by Trinnau

It was the "false front" under Albany street, re-done to LOOK like granite blocks with a solid concrete abutment behind. Was done as part of the Big Dig, not the long-standing granite blocks.