Railroad Forums 

• 2018 Commuter Rail Delay Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1456270  by RenegadeMonster

Newburyport Train 160 will operate on Train 192's schedule between Beverly & N Station through the end of this week
Thats different. Looks like they don't expect to resolve the signal issues this week and expect to Cancel 192 all week.

I normally take 160 to work in the morning if I don't have to head in early. This alert means 160 will be held almost 10 minutes at Beverly and will make all stops instead of running express from Salem.

I might want to consider a earlier train to make it into work for 9:30 in the morning.
 #1456295  by RenegadeMonster

Just saw on Channel 7 that the same 3 cancelations in yesterdays morning commute and 5 in the evening commute for the Newburyport/Rockport lines will be in place through the end of this week.

The 15 minute delay statement going through the marshes is also in place for the rest of the week.
 #1456296  by Trinnau

RenegadeMonster wrote:What kind of damage are we talking about that caused the signal issues. Is it actual damaged lines / electronics / signals or is it something less destructive such as ice causing track occupied reads?
Word is the something along the lines of the last. Salt water is conductive and it got mixed with the snow/ice and saturated the roadbed which was almost submerged. Warmer temps, melting and rain later this week will probably be needed to clear it. If it was component damage they probably would have been able to fix it over the weekend.
 #1456422  by RenegadeMonster

Anyone know what the deal is with the modified schedules and how long they are in effect for the Newburyport/Rockport lines?

The paper they handed out last night at North station matches what the Alerts say. Through the end of this week, Friday the 12th.

However, this morning walking through North Station the automated announcement said the modified schedules are in effect through the 20th. Which is it?
 #1456536  by StefanW

Good news!!! I was just on train 177 going normal speed all the way from Chelsea to Lynn. No delay whatsoever. I was told indeed track 1 is no longer dark territory and that’s probably the case for track 2 also. Apparently it was all restored mid-afternoon.

I’m guessing the reduced-service schedule will remain in place until Monday so they don’t over-promise. However all speed restrictions may be lifted!!
 #1456537  by RenegadeMonster

I noticed the same as well tonight on 173.

Though we didn't quite get so lucky. We had to do a stop and protect at the first grade crossing and all through Chelsea we crawled along. But once we got to the marshes we going track speed. We did fall 15 minutes or so behind schedule going through Chelsea.
 #1459160  by Diverging Route

30 T-Alerts for the NEC between 6:00am and 8:30am (so far!). 802 died, 900 assisted, everything behind got delayed. Then a medical for 802/900 at Readville. And.... switch issues near PVD. And the best goes on.
 #1459402  by Diverging Route

Diverging Route wrote:30 T-Alerts for the NEC between 6:00am and 8:30am (so far!). 802 died, 900 assisted, everything behind got delayed. Then a medical for 802/900 at Readville. And.... switch issues near PVD. And the beat goes on.
 #1461219  by jaymac

02-12-2018 Service Alert shows 404 10-15 delayed Shirley-BON, no cause specified. 0647, D-3 told 404 to walk the train while at the station -- Shirley? -- and that he'd notify Radio Room. 0654, D-3 told 404 OK to continue.