Railroad Forums 

• Wellingtion Yard Overhall

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1444059  by dieciduej

BandA wrote:I thought I read somewhere that wooden ties are good for about 40 years in average conditions.
They got their monies worth!

JoeD
 #1445432  by dieciduej

On the way home last evening I noticed that the track gang has laid new ties and have begun the re-railing process. It went from Community College to about halfway to the flyover. If they keep pace, they should make it to the flyover or on to it.

Also the slow order on the OL between Sullivan and Community College on the south bound side has been lifted.

JoeD
 #1447492  by dieciduej

The track gang is now just south of Assembly Station. The new trackage is on top of stone ballast and it hasn't be aligned and tamped. On the Charlestown flyover some of the new trackage has some kinks in it. Get out the torsion beam tamper! Also the third rail hasn't been installed either.

JoeD
 #1447861  by StefanW

Just went by on an inbound Rockburyport train. There's a ballast regulator & hopper car just north of Sullivan, and there's a tamper just a little north of them roughly opposite Reading Junction.
 #1448526  by StefanW

Sullivan is a good spot for viewing today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZIl4SQTf4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I caught the ballast regulator and hopper car going by on the test track, and on mainline Track 1 there's the tie job progressing.
 #1448995  by dieciduej

Looks like the track gang has made it to Wellington Station. The switches at the north and south ends have been tied in. Just some rail clips, ballast and third rail and the testing to the new Orange Line cars can begin, once they get here! :wink:
Track Gang at Wellington
Track Gang at Wellington
Track Gang at Wellington.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 7002 times
 #1450519  by dieciduej

Tamper at Wellington, truing up the tracks. Tamp, tamp baby!
Wellington Station Test Track Tamper
Wellington Station Test Track Tamper
Wellington Tamper.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 6793 times
JoeD
 #1451750  by StefanW

The third rail is in place at least from Assembly to just north of Sullivan. There's a crew out there right now that appears to be tying on the supply wires, and perhaps also wiring the third rail heaters. (I'm guessing it was heaters because at one spot there was a coil of small-gauge wire hanging off the third rail. It was too small a wire gauge to be the supply, but about right for the heater ground wire.)

By the way can some moderator please rename this topic? I just noticed it's "Wellingtion Yard Overhall" and it should be "Wellington Yard Overhaul" or even better "Wellington Yard and Test Track Overhaul".
 #1451777  by MBTA3247

I saw a Loram rail grinder at Wellington on Friday.
 #1451783  by dieciduej

StefanW wrote:By the way can some moderator please rename this topic? I just noticed it's "Wellingtion Yard Overhall" and it should be "Wellington Yard Overhaul" or even better "Wellington Yard and Test Track Overhaul".
Mother Superior said I could never spell, that's why I became an engineer!

JoeD
 #1459173  by StefanW

The third rail continues to be installed. The crews right now are just south of Sullivan.

Yesterday there was the smallest rail grinding operation I've ever seen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RBxKhWTj28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1459200  by StefanW

StefanW wrote:Yesterday there was the smallest rail grinding operation I've ever seen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RBxKhWTj28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was grinding down a joint in the CWR. Here's what it looks like today:
IMG_4043.jpg
 #1459201  by StefanW

Third rail installation action earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssy0PdTsZYM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also - on the way to Sullivan northbound we passed a crew working in the area between Community College and the flyover. There was a hi-rail bucket loader and a ballast hopper working on digging out (or filling?) a trench on the south side of the test track. It appeared to be the 3rd-rail power cable which was already in or going in.
 #1459573  by StefanW

Yesterday AM crews continue to set third rail in place.
IMG_4065.jpg
Also yesterday a different team was tying the signal equipment onto the running rails.
IMG_4066.jpg