Railroad Forums 

• White/red/yellow markings on Fitchburg line tracks

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1435581  by CRail

You'll need to be more specific than "markings." Where are they in relation to the track? What are they on or mounted to? What are they made of?
 #1435599  by RenegadeMonster

CRail wrote:You'll need to be more specific than "markings." Where are they in relation to the track? What are they on or mounted to? What are they made of?

Exactly. Though I'm picturing similar marking I have seen spray painted on the the side of the rails at expansion joints on the Eastern. Always figured they marked these up for work that needs to be done, but then the same spray paint is still there a year later.
 #1435667  by BostonUrbEx

Yellow painted joint bars mark insulated joints and/or the fouling point of a switch.

As for the original topic, are they little two-colored squares fastened to the ties? I never paid much attention, but I think they may mark culverts?
 #1435963  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Could be anything from the track dept and what color paint they had/have for a specific project. Markings as in.....ties sprayed with dots? or the entire tie, end to end, is colored? Blue and white tend to designate where is safe for the weed sprayer, ties marked with dots are for replacement. Other markings could be in relation to the on going PTC project around the system and where the switch heater cables/signal cables run under the tracks