Railroad Forums 

• Pullman-Standard (1500s & 1600s) and UTDC (1700s) on the RL

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1427346  by rhodiecub2

Are there any major differences between the Pullman-Standard trains and the UTDC trains on the Red Line? Those trains seem to look the same on the inside and the outside and ride the same, unless I'm missing something. I know the Pullman-Standard trains were made around 1969-1971 and the UTDCs around 1987-88. I'm just wondering if there major differences between the sets of trains.
 #1427353  by Diverging Route

rhodiecub2 wrote:Are there any major differences between the Pullman-Standard trains and the UTDC trains on the Red Line? Those trains seem to look the same on the inside and the outside and ride the same, unless I'm missing something. I know the Pullman-Standard trains were made around 1969-1971 and the UTDCs around 1987-88. I'm just wondering if there major differences between the sets of trains.
NETransit is a good source for such information.
 #1427357  by Bramdeisroberts

Another big difference that NETransit doesn't mention is that, iirc, the Pullman Standard cars were all aluminum-bodied, hence the original silverbird paintjobs, while the UTDC cars have bodies built out of Cor-Ten steel, which is why they have only been painted in the late 70s Cambridge Seven-inspired scheme.
 #1427522  by rhodiecub2

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Another big difference that NETransit doesn't mention is that, iirc, the Pullman Standard cars were all aluminum-bodied, hence the original silverbird paintjobs, while the UTDC cars have bodies built out of Cor-Ten steel, which is why they have only been painted in the late 70s Cambridge Seven-inspired scheme.
I always liked that silverbird paint scheme. I wish that it was kept on those trains instead of the red and white paint scheme.
 #1427530  by Finch

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Another big difference that NETransit doesn't mention is that, iirc, the Pullman Standard cars were all aluminum-bodied, hence the original silverbird paintjobs, while the UTDC cars have bodies built out of Cor-Ten steel, which is why they have only been painted in the late 70s Cambridge Seven-inspired scheme.
The UTDC cars also have an aluminum carbody skin, actually. In both cases it's a mild steel underframe, though.

If you just want to spot the difference, other than the items already mentioned, I find that the exterior emergency door pulls (black rubber flaps) on the 1700s are the most noticeable thing.

To the OP's question, the fleets are very, very similar. The No. 2 cars (1700s) were one of those "build me some more of those" procurements; they basically asked for a copy of the No. 1 car. Thus they have a bit older technology than their age suggests. Most major systems (propulsion, air brakes, HVAC, etc.) are just slight evolutions of the same products. The 1700s have a solid state DC-DC converter to supply 37.5VDC for control systems. 1600s too. Some or all of the 1500s have "motor-alternators" to do this, or used to. I'm fuzzy on details. Also, one of the 1500/1600 fleets (I shamefully forget which, I think 1600s) has only a single air compressor for each married pair. The 1700s have an air compressor on every car.

Some newer technology is sprinkled into the 1700s due to the recent rehab project, but it mostly mimics the old systems it replaced, so it's not very noticeable. They also have a lot better paint now...

EDIT: Formatting.
 #1427533  by MBTA3247

Finch wrote:Also, one of the 1500/1600 fleets (I shamefully forget which, I think 1600s) has only a single air compressor for each married pair.
That would be the 01600s. The 01500s were originally built as individual cars, not married pairs.
 #1427548  by CRail

01700s are 2" narrower and 3" longer. This isn't really noticeable. Spotting features of each include a square side window on the blind end of the 01500s (which used to be a cab window), the other cars are rectangular there; 01500s have 2 lit number boards per side, 01600s have 1 lit number board per side, and 01700s don't have number boards; true silvers (15/016) have ribbed roofs while 01700s have smooth roofs; indicator lights on the exteyrior of the cars are much larger on 01700s than the 015s and 016s. 01500s have headlights, marker lights, and destination signs on the blind end, 01700s have (or had as some were removed in the latest overhaul) headlights and marker lights on the blind end. Both (015/017) fleets were built to operate singly, but I've been told redundant equipment has been removed (they are now married pairs). 01600s' blind ends have always been blind. They have no lights and have smaller blind end windows. True silvers have noticeably (from within) smaller cabs than the 01700s.
 #1427657  by Finch

MBTA3247 wrote:
Finch wrote:Also, one of the 1500/1600 fleets (I shamefully forget which, I think 1600s) has only a single air compressor for each married pair.
That would be the 01600s. The 01500s were originally built as individual cars, not married pairs.
Thanks for the confirmation.
 #1427914  by R36 Combine Coach

Finch wrote:The No. 2 cars (1700s) were one of those "build me some more of those" procurements; they basically asked for a copy of the No. 1 car. Thus they have a bit older technology than their age suggests. Most major systems (propulsion, air brakes, HVAC, etc.) are just slight evolutions of the same products.
To be technical, Westinghouse Cam Control, a proven, reliable DC cam traction system dating back to 1958 and upgraded to microprocessor in 1991 as "E-CAM" (which is still offered by BBD, the successor to Westinghouse's transportation division).