Railroad Forums 

• Beverly Drawbridge Replacement

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1437152  by RenegadeMonster

New announcement playing on the trains stating "During the Beverly Drawbridge construction use of the Salem Parking Garage is strongly discouraged due to congestion. Salam police will be enforcing all parking regulations."

Also, there is another one I heard earlier this week about bus during the drawbridge construction and PTC but the audio is so low compared to stop announcements you can only catch bits and pieces of it.
 #1438286  by RenegadeMonster

First 2 days underway of the shut down.

The MBTA was bing nice to us on the Eastern tonight and handing out free bottled waters to all passengers who wanted one tonight when boarding at North Station.

Peoples first thoughts were "Does this mean the Air Conditioning isn't working?" as I heard asked several times. The MBTA staff just simply responded that the MBTA wanted to be "nice".
 #1438339  by deathtopumpkins

WCVB had a neat video taken via helicopter last night of the crane assembled over the drawbridge. Haven't seen it online anywhere, but if I find it I'll post it.
 #1438341  by octr202

From the T itself:

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/887984005349597184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1438942  by RenegadeMonster

Looks like they are using this time of closure to do a lot tree work. Not just brush hogging but taking down whole trees along the tracks.

Also, what are the telephone poles for they are adding. Is that for PTC or WiFI?
 #1440282  by tomytuna

Can someone/anyone tell me if/where I can find actual picture of this project? underway during construction? thanks Tommy
 #1440313  by deathtopumpkins

Looks like the T is taking advantage of the shutdown to get some other work done too... was in Ipswich yesterday and saw the entire low platform was freshly repaved.
 #1440316  by RenegadeMonster

yeah, they have been real busy.

They have been doing a lot of tree clearing as well.

Speaking of work, PTC work is going on as well.

What I don't get is why at Salem Station did they put up telephone poles and a single wire when the power lines / existing signaling is underground. The poles look goofy placed along the metal inbound/outbound train markers. What's even odder is they appear to be burying the PTC line at River Works and running it with the exiting underground power/signal wires.
 #1440369  by BostonUrbEx

Stone-X with the 1026, 1062, C-1, and 26 loaded stone hoppers went over the Beverly Draw today. It was the first movement over the new span. They'll be dumping stone into tomorrow for all the tie job work that's been done.
 #1440506  by BandA

RenegadeMonster wrote:yeah, they have been real busy.

They have been doing a lot of tree clearing as well.

Speaking of work, PTC work is going on as well.

What I don't get is why at Salem Station did they put up telephone poles and a single wire when the power lines / existing signaling is underground. The poles look goofy placed along the metal inbound/outbound train markers. What's even odder is they appear to be burying the PTC line at River Works and running it with the exiting underground power/signal wires.
Separate PTC & Wifi projects going on at the same time but not coordinated. Both installing fiber, one underground, one above ground. Example of incompetence and waste, and the Wifi towers are controversial as notice and public hearings processes were improper. I think there is another thread.
 #1440532  by RenegadeMonster

They moved some engines and cars this morning passed the Beverly Drawbridge and started putting sets together for Monday.

Looks like this is the end of the 6 & 7 car sets we have been seeing. Mostly only 4 car sets today and yesterday.