Railroad Forums 

• PBS American Experience - History of Boston's subway

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1418989  by dbperry

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... derground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

video clip preview at link above
In the late 19th century, as America’s teeming cities grew increasingly congested, the time had come to replace the nostalgic horse-drawn trolleys with a faster, cleaner, safer, and more efficient form of transportation. Ultimately, it was Boston — a city of so many firsts — that overcame a litany of engineering challenges, the greed-driven interests of businessmen, and the great fears of its citizenry to construct America’s first subway. Based in part on Doug Most’s acclaimed non-fiction book of the same name, The Race Underground tells the dramatic story of an invention that changed the lives of millions.
 #1419068  by dbperry

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/televi ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as people curse it and rely on it, they probably never spend much time pondering the origins of the MBTA. For them Michael Rossi’s “The Race Underground,” based on Doug Most’s book “The Race Underground: Boston, New York, and the Incredible Rivalry That Built America’s First Subway,” should prove engrossing, eye-opening, and provocative. Though the documentary’s style is conventional Ken Burns, the content is all too timely for a country facing the need for urgent infrastructure repair and renovation. After seeing it, chances are you’ll never look at Park Street Station the same way again.
 #1419166  by SemperFidelis

If you are a Roku user, PBS has a freely downlable channel. The channel has a subsection for American Experience which, as any fan of the show knows, has hours and hours of documentaries that, unlike so-called "documentaries" on for-profit cable channels, are actually worth the time to watch.

Beware: Whoever is in charge of updating the channel at PBS isn't all that good at thier job in my opinion. Lots of really old things stay watchable while some new things get added and others don't.

Editorializing: Political leanings aside, if for no other reason, childhood education and quality documentary television (like Ken Burns' various works) are two reasons every American should support public television. For profit channels either can't or won't take the time or invest the money in things like American Experience and all of the things PBS does for children's learning.
 #1419171  by BigUglyCat

johnpbarlow wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Well, I was unable to watch it as it was premiering. Anywhere I can watch it now?
Should be able to watch it on line: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365945692/
I just did. Very entertaining. I thought I had done this topic to absolute completion. As it turned out, any number of photos and even brief videos were new to me. Thank you, John, for the link.