Railroad Forums 

• MBTA-MARC at Quonset

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1371751  by NYNE

If I am posting a question about an old topic, I am sorry. I was out the other day in Rhode Island and came across some MBTA equipment stored in sidings off Roger Williams Way in Quonset, which included MARC 66. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what is going on with this unit, as well as the other equipment down at Quonset. Again, apologies if I am bringing up an old topic. I posted a couple of photos on my blog: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bc5v7RIp0DQ/ ... PARKED.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1371777  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MBCR was the lessor for those units, not the MBTA. And MBCR scrammed out of town after their contract expired without paying the waybill to return those 3 units to MPI. So the T moved them out of BET and grouped them down there with the stored MBB coaches, and they'll just be sitting there until MPI decides it needs them back. Which probably won't be soon since MPI techs are still going to be hanging around New England through Spring/Summer doing firmware upgrades and other 1-year warranty mods to the HSP-46's. When they finally get hauled away, the residual MBCR entity (it still exists for processing closeout costs/paperwork) will get billed a late fee on the waybill. And if they don't pay that, they'll get taken to small claims court.

If MPI gets another order for MP32PH-Q locomotives, those will probably be the Geep carbodies that get gutted and repowered as new units. Sunrail's 32's were all made up from the same fleet of cut-up MARC GP40WH-2's as those three leasers.
 #1375061  by GP40MC1118

MBTX 66 has left town according to a Facebook posting tonight. Seen on Q423 out of Worcester.
Came up on the P&W on DAWO.

Dave
 #1378876  by XUPRR

For what it's worth, the MBTX 66 went through Pocatello, ID on April 3, headed west.
I'm guessing it was going to MotivePower in Boise, maybe for overhaul or upgrade.
First "T" unit I've seen here since 2014, when bunch of brand-new 2000 series commuter(?) locomotives (manufactured by MotivePower) went through here headed east, in groups of 2, 3, or 4 at a time, over the period between June & November.
Funny, no one out here had any idea what the "Circle T" insignia was all about (except me, 'cause I grew up in Canton and rode the old MTA into Boston frequently in the 50's & 60's).
I'd be happy to hear from anyone who knows for sure what the 66 is doing out here.

Uncle Ed
 #1378967  by XUPRR

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:returning to her owner
So that's really all there is to it, just MPI reclaiming one of its own.
I was really hoping for something more exciting (or at least interesting).
Thanks for clearing it up for me.