Railroad Forums 

• Rail World Lease Units

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1321706  by ACeInTheHole

Well, as we were having a conversation yesterday evening about what the T should do regarding extra power in the retirements thread.. Seemingly right on cue, it seems the calavry has been called.. I got wind that the T is going to lease seven ex Amtrak F40s from Railworks and I also heard that the first of them is supposedly already on the way with a couple more soon to be close behind. Can anyone confirm?
 #1321717  by DutchRailnut

think railworks has no more, all F40's are were cut up and engines send to poland.
 #1321723  by GP40MC1118

Rumor has it there are two units in Selkirk. Railworld has other stashed
elsewhere. These two may have come out of CAD in Montreal. Don't
have any numbers as yet.

D
 #1321726  by GP40MC1118

I've come up with five different numbers showing MBTX waybill reported on CSX. Some
of these were basket cases at LTE years ago, so its very confusing as to what's what.
LTEX 346, 388, ex-TANX 345, 372,376.

D
 #1321741  by Komarovsky

Is a basket case better than a inoperable locomotive? We'll find out soon I guess. The MARC geeps set the bar pretty low for the most recent leased power, hopefully the new leased power won't smash straight into it.
 #1321747  by GP40MC1118

By basket case, I meant inoperable. Like I said, unless LTE did some serious rebuilding
on a couple of these, this is all very confusing. At least the TANX units were complete.

D
 #1321753  by chrisf

GP40MC1118 wrote:I've come up with five different numbers showing MBTX waybill reported on CSX. Some
of these were basket cases at LTE years ago, so its very confusing as to what's what.
LTEX 346, 388, ex-TANX 345, 372,376.

D
That's odd. It looks like 346 was scrapped in 2008: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1373557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The last photo I found of 388 was from 2011 and it was more intact but still doesn't seem useful. Maybe they still have traction motors and good trucks?
 #1321771  by ACeInTheHole

The TANX units apparently went to North Carolina DOT for the Piedmont, never passed inspection, then went right back out.. Hmm. I guess lets see what shows up in a few days. I mean, they are leases, so i dont think any of the screamers are getting their parts.. But judging by what you said MC, they sound even worse than the MARC units
 #1321774  by chrisf

ACeInTheHole wrote:I got numbers 274, 301, and 310.. If that helps..
Those had run for AMT in Montreal, so they're likely more functional.
 #1321784  by GP40MC1118

The 274 has moved as SLC 274 in Montreal on CN. Disappeared.
The 301 is moving at SLC 301 out of CAD and shows on CPR with no update as of 1PM.
The 310 has moved as SLC 310 to CAD sometime around August 2014. No update.

The clot thickens...

D
 #1321906  by Backshophoss

Believe the "Rent a Wrecks" were "stored" behind Potato Warehouses on the remains of the San Luis Central
in the Monte Vista area in Co, saw them there years ago buried in the weeds :(
 #1321936  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BandA wrote:Maybe they've purchased some engines for parts and leasing the others?
That has been the fate of some of the unmodified original Screamers. They may not be economical anymore for modifications to HEP generator and continued service, but nearly everything else in them is fair game to cannibalize for refurbishing some 2C-generation engines on-the-cheap (full rebuilds or well-worn rentals). It's usually customary for the rent-a-wrecks to get their wrecks ready for rent by perma-wrecking +1-2 additional wrecks. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" and all that.

Geep parts have a lot of matches to F40's too. So all those ex-NJT units that MPI took on to gut the carbodies into all-new MP20 "hermit crabs" end up with their Geep-generation stripped parts floating a portion of the F40 supply chain. It's one of the big reasons why there's been a conscious decision across most carriers including the T to sacrifice all their Geeps...but nearly all breathing F40-2C's are being rebuilt and freshly maintained by somebody for the long haul. If there's parts commonality between a couple classes of old makes...but only enough parts to sustain one make and not the other...pick the make with the best chances of longest-term survival and consolidate the resources even if that means something else has to go extinct in the process. That's sort of been the Faustian bargain railroads have made throughout history at deciding which power has to be sunset and which power lives on in near-immortality.
 #1322290  by ck4049

When these lease units get here they will all be on the North Side due to lack of ACSES and the fact that they're all screamers.