Railroad Forums 

• Green Line real-time data and tracking

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1356859  by StefanW

I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum yet... the MBTA is conducting a survey on apps:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Tappsurvey
MBTA via SurveyMonkey wrote:Let us know your favorite T app!

With more than 60 apps available on the T App Showcase, we're asking which apps work best for you in order to share your feedback with other T customers. The 11 apps included in this survey were all created and submitted by independent developers, use the T's real-time tracking and alerts data, and are commonly used by customers.
I apologize if this post is seen as a little self-serving, because it's not intended that way. Disclaimer: Two of the eleven apps in the survey are my own.
 #1415828  by StefanW

Last night the MBTA real-time data people put out a fix to a long-standing issue, and added a cool new thing.

Finally the actual lead car numbers of Red/Blue/Orange subway trains are back!!! Since Spring 2016 only the Green Line lead car numbers were given in the data - but now they have fixed that issue and we are back to true car numbers like 0748 (Blue), 1236 (Orange), and 1860 (Red).

The brand new thing they added: ALL car numbers for Green Line train consists! Previously we only got the lead car ID, but now we get both cars in a two-car train and all three car numbers in a three-car train!

Check it out: https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T/subway-map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the rear car number:
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 12.00.49 PM.png
I added a new column to the table to show the additional car numbers. If it's a 3-car train the center and rear car will show up under "Other car(s)".
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 11.59.38 AM.png
In theory this new full-consist Green Line data might help people who need the low-floor car position themselves better on the platform if they know that the Type 8 is front or back, but I'm not sure that would reduce dwell times by very much.