Railroad Forums 

• Old Pictures

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1473635  by RenegadeMonster

NBC 10 Boston just gave a tour of these tunnels on the 7:00pm news hour as well tonight.

Very fascinating.

If they give public tours again, where do you sign up and how do you find out when? It sounds like it is a possibility according to the NBC Boston news report because there is a lot of interest.
 #1473825  by StefanW

#1475586  by BandA

I wish they had kept the "A" line. Plenty of used PCC cars available for purchase back then. Cobblestone made much more sense than asphalt around the tracks, fewer potholes I bet.

Some of those trolleys were really moving! Saw at least one three-car. Were all cars "traction orange" or were some more yellow?

0:19 Cottage Donuts were delicious.  Newtonville & Newton Corner, later Waltham. Lasted through the mid/late '70s or so. Still looking for good replacement.

2:55 & 3:10 Sign for a Jenney gas station. !@@$$##& jerk; Fired my grandfather after he had cataract surgery, because he couldn't drive at night.
 #1475599  by jaymac

Re: Old. Pictures
Post by BandA » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:56 pm
...Cobblestone made much more sense than asphalt around the tracks, fewer potholes I bet
While indeed having fewer potholes and being quicker to remove and replace than asphalt, cobblestones inside and outside the gauge plus street rail combined to produce a pretty wide skid-path in wet weather, this posted by someone who had firsthand wet-weather experience in 1963 with the skid-path that was the then-cobblestoned-and-then-Prison-Point-named bridge over the tracks to North Station.
Sorry about your grandfather. Cataract surgery is a lot better now than then.
 #1475623  by Charliemta

I remember seeing the old Prison Point Bridge every time I rode by on the Green Line back in the 50's and 60's. Mass Ave all the way north from Harvard Square to North Cambridge also had the cobblestones between the tracks. I wonder what they did with all those cobblestones when they removed them.
 #1475742  by WatertownCarBarn

0:19 Cottage Donuts were delicious. Newtonville & Newton Corner, later Waltham. Lasted through the mid/late '70s or so. Still looking for good replacement.
Yes they were! Try Anna's in West Roxbury, closest I've had.

I rode the A line many times as a kid. The video was quite a flash back. Hated the 57 when the A disappeared.
I noticed those PCCs were really moving too. I guess liability was a different issue back then. And those brave folks wandering out into the road to get on.
Looking at it now I wonder how the PCCs ever stayed on the rail.