Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1214339  by mattl

In logging to post this, I saw I had an unread message in my PM folder.

:/

RIP 3rdrail
 #1214410  by agarturbo

In life you come across people willing to serve others, people who amass knowledge, people who share knowledge, and people who are respectful and diplomatic enough to share that knowledge with the "unwashed masses". It is seldom that you run into people who possess all of these traits. I only "met" Paul on this forum, but it seems to me that he was one of those rare people. Paul's train has left the station and we are diminished. However, he left us a wealth of knowledge in his posts and in the memories of those who knew him. I celebrate what he accomplished while he was with us and thank him for his service in the BPD. I think that he would have wanted it that way.
 #1214814  by HenryAlan

I mostly only lurk, and haven't done much of that lately. This is very sad news and a great loss for the MBTA forum. Such a wealth of knowledge, so many interesting stories. In many ways, Paul was the reason I've read these threads over the years. Many will fill in, but none will replace.
 #1214838  by MBTA1016

HenryAlan wrote: Many will fill in, but none will replace.
That's the best line to describe how Paul was to everyone here. His knowledge of the mbta when it was mta is not replaceable.
 #1215957  by StevieC48

Sgt. Paul Joyce BPD Ret. It was a pleasure to know you and to learn so many interesting facts about the transit and your many photos. Thank you . You will be missed
 #1216393  by charlie6017

I'm awfully late getting here and reading this, but it sure made me sad to find out about Mr. Joyce's
passing. I have been a member of Railroad.net since John Stewart owned this site, and Paul was always
a joy to chat and banter with. I didn't frequent the same boards he normally did but the rare occasions were
always a pleasure. His shoes in life can never be filled.

R.I.P. Sargent Joyce!

Charlie Ricker
 #1217898  by MEC407

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:I think this pic of Paul off the web sums him up the best.
Thanks for posting that. What a great smile, and what a great way to remember him. I'm so sad that I never got a chance to meet him in person.
 #1218224  by Aa3rt

I don't generally check in to this portion of Railroad.Net and after reading this news, I'm sorry I did. Like many of you I never met Paul but have had many pleasant exchanges with him both here and on Facebook. Even over electronic media Paul came across as a genuinely nice guy. While the frequency of our exchanges had slowed somewhat I will miss his presence as well.

Here's a thread that shows a good example of Paul's appreciation of other people, even those he'd never met: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 22&t=80798
 #1218245  by Robert Paniagua

I am saddened by this news. I never met Paul in person, but I have talked to him online several times. He will be missed.

Right on, ST214. I also didn't get to meet Paul Joyce in person. But I also talked to him here and on Facebook and not to mention he even purchased a product (Portable heater) off me through ebay. Also, I really liked his photos of the last few hours and weeks of Old Washington St EL Orange line service that he took, and a photo of himself at Cabot Yard on the Red line with an Osgood-Bradley Coach and a retired Bluebird and Silverbirds 01604/05 and the Wellington Shops when the EL was still in operation.

Paul, you will be missed here and on the MBTA. rest in Peace, Sgt. Paul Joyce! I'll miss you here and on Facebook.......
 #1218856  by Greg Moore

Damn, how did I miss this sticky.

While a bit acerbic at times, still a great asset. Sorry to hear this.