Railroad Forums 

• Alewife

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1210770  by deathtopumpkins

Robert Paniagua wrote:
gprimr1 wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to go to Ayer. :/

It could use direct access to a controlled access highway.
Actually, in fact, The Red line WAS Supposed to continue past Alewife along the median strip of the never-built Route 3 freeway, then just shy of 128, turn off Route 3 to get to Bedford. Or unless it was to continue to the Burlington Mall.
I always thought the red line was supposed to parallel the Mass Ave (Route 2A) corridor through Arlington and Lexington, ending around 128 near Hanscom? I know the Orange Line was supposed to north to around Reading...

I've never heard a plan for rapid transit along Route 3 though.
 #1210927  by B&M 1227

I've never heard any proposal for median service on Route 3. Going back to BERy days, they wanted to extend the Cambridge-Dorchester line past Harvard to Watertown, over toward Alewife, and then follow the B&M to a terminus in Arlington Heights built on BERy's trolley yard. This eventually developed into the extension from Harvard-Porter-Davis-Alewife with the intention of busting west to Arlington Center. Besides Arlington's opposition to the "wrong type of people" moving in, the MBTA dropped the ball, waiting until the last minute to disclose their plans to build a large parking garage between Medford and Mystic Street. Though service only ever goes as far as Alewife, the tracks curve to the north after the station and end beneath Herd Field in Arlington.
 #1211039  by connartist88h

Hurd Field? That's west of Park Avenue near the reservoir. Thorndike Field would make more sense.
 #1211065  by CRail

It's under Thorndike field. Here's where the tunnel actually ends.
 #1211117  by joshg1

I don't now how far the plans advanced, but the story I know was the Red Line was projected to run up the B&M line through Bedford (Minuteman branch?). Lexington was all for it, town hall just waiting for the final plans to hit their desk so they could pitch in, Arlington dead set against it, and I don't know about Bedford.

So many proposals are made that generate a lot of talk but no action that it's hard to say anything was "supposed to happen". I don't doubt the RL was projected to run up unbuilt Route 3, or to that new international airport that Hanscomb didn't turn into.

Somewhat off topic- when the Tobin bridge was under construction the legislature passed a resolve to fund a study on building a double deck viaduct- 4 RR tracks on one level, divided highway on the other- all the way up to Salem. They don't seem to have funded the study, though.
 #1211161  by wicked

Study examined a couple options for Red Line north, IIRC, but the main one was Alewife-Burlington Mall along the Lexington Branch ROW to Lexington Center. Can't remember what the alignment was post-Lexington Depot. My rusty memory (read study 25 years ago) tells me that stops would have been Arlington Center, Arlington Heights, Lexington and the Mall.
 #1460201  by rhodiecub2

joshg1 wrote:I don't now how far the plans advanced, but the story I know was the Red Line was projected to run up the B&M line through Bedford (Minuteman branch?). Lexington was all for it, town hall just waiting for the final plans to hit their desk so they could pitch in, Arlington dead set against it, and I don't know about Bedford.
Does anyone where the locations of actual stops would have been?
 #1461038  by kwf

From what I can remember there was Arlington Center, Arlington Heights, then at some point in the future on to Lexington Center and Rte 128 area, following the Lexington Branch. It took a hundred years to get from Harvard Square out to Alewife
 #1461333  by rethcir

Burlington (and 128) so desperately needs public transit access with the concentration of businesses there. But there seems to be absolutely zero long term plan in place. Does Burlington have such poor representation in the state gov that they can’t get something in the docket?
 #1461346  by BandA

1) Monorail, cog rail, cable-car or magnetic-assisted propulsion over Route 2 & 128 :wink:
or 2) EL over 128 from Roberts (Fitchburg line) to Burlington, with junction to reconnect the Central Mass (Berlin line) later
or 3) EL over 128 from Riverside (Green line) to Burlington.
or 4) EL over 128 from Needham/Newton to Burlington. Probably Orange line
Last edited by BandA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1461348  by BandA

Back on topic. They could theoretically reactivate the Lexington Line as Commuter Rail or Red Line, but they would have to accommodate the rail-trail somehow. Probably cheaper than a Monorail :wink:
 #1461479  by CRail

BandA wrote:...but they would have to accommodate the rail-trail somehow.
No they wouldn’t. That line is railbanked and owned by the MBTA. The bike path has no legal standing on that right of way.
 #1461516  by deathtopumpkins

The Minuteman Bikeway is popular enough and well-used enough that even if not a legal necessity (which I agree it is not), it would be a political necessity to include it in any reuse of the corridor as rail.
 #1461532  by Bramdeisroberts

Copy BART and build a dinky with GTWs running from Bedford Center or the VA/Middlesex Community College to Alewife, using the T's MOW facility as a yard for the DEMUs. Keep the ROW single-tracked in places where you need to do it to keep the Bikeway, as the tightest they'd ever be running is 15 minute headways during rush hour.

No matter what though, hands-down, low floor non-FRA DMUs would be the cheapest way to return service to Arlington/Lexington/Bedford, while opening the door to further extensions to Burlington, etc.
 #1461565  by B&M 1227

DMU service on the Lexington Branch would be a welcome addition to the Boston Commuter portfolio. Add some infill stations between North Station and Porter, a station at Alewife, and mimic most of the Lexington Branch station sites (Lake St/East Arlington, Arlington Center, Arlington Heights, East Lexington, Lexington Center, North Lexington) before terminating at a RT128 park and ride/layover facility. Eventually a new ROW could bust over to Burlington paralleling the 128 Corridor.