Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1199078  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Rbts Stn wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:I guess just an engine isn't technically a consist, but PAR 601 just went barreling by here on her own, heading northwest
where is here?
Rbts Stn . Took me awhile to pick the screen name!
haha very unique, I like it...now I know where you were
 #1200119  by Rbts Stn

jaymac wrote:On 07-15-2013 at 0737, 1009(W) and 1007 were shoving the rest of 412 IB at Shirley. Both screamers seemed to be living up to the name.
Yep. Nearly woke me up just before 8:30AM
 #1200497  by AEM7AC920

Problematic locos... The 1007 is the one that had the crankcase button pop twice within the last month and I believe the 1008 had the same problem today which is why it's paired with the 1015.
 #1200532  by ck4049

1008 spent some time in the deadline recently behind BET. Seems crankcase problems are becoming more of a problem for the screamers lately, but age can do that to a locomotive.
 #1200559  by ACeInTheHole

ck4049 wrote:1008 spent some time in the deadline recently behind BET. Seems crankcase problems are becoming more of a problem for the screamers lately, but age can do that to a locomotive.
How would you rate their maintenence? Good? When you bad order a loco for a problem does the problem get addressed to your satisfaction? A bunch of different factors can play into it, not just age.
 #1200599  by AEM7AC920

The maintenance has been a lot better vs the past.. Locos that have been oos for problems have been paired with another engine when being put back in service, the screamers that were running around with bad turbos have all been repaired. Even most of the geeps are pretty reliable after the rebuild, they even claim all of the a/c's were checked before the summer and I can say half actually work somewhat... Anyhow the locos are old things are going to happen even with preventive maintenance.
 #1204957  by dth9269

Engine #3249 headed outbound at West Cambridge just now (10AM EDT) with some looooooong steel rails on three flatcars, and the orange caboose at the end...

UPDATE: ...and just returned ~1:05PM, with some rusty steel rails in their place.
 #1205156  by dth9269

Engine #3247 outbound at West Cambridge just now (~9:50AM EDT), hauling a black tanker ("Water Only" stenciled on the side) and a yellow vehicle with various types of equipment (including perhaps a generator?).

UPDATE: The locomotive returned inbound, alone, at ~10:35.

Dan
 #1205169  by mdamico23

[quote="dth9269"]Engine #3247 outbound at West Cambridge just now (~9:50AM EDT), hauling a black tanker ("Water Only" stenciled on the side) and a yellow vehicle with various types of equipment (including perhaps a generator?).

UPDATE: The locomotive returned inbound, alone, at ~10:35.

That sounds like the "Slippery Rail" train that they run in the Fall. They fill the tanker with water and then the generator is basically hooked up to high-pressure washer which is then sprayed on the rails and knocks leaves and other gunk off of the rails, thereby improving traction for the locomotive. Somebody uploaded a video of it last year. The "Water Only" tanker spent most of last summer at the West Cambridge maintenance facility. I haven't seen it recently, so maybe it is being prepped for service again this year.

-Mike
 #1205181  by agarturbo

That was the rail washer that you saw this morning. I saw 3247 hauling it away from BET from the 408 this morning. At last report there were 2 of these contraptions in the system. Didn't happen to notice which one this was as it went by. I figured it was headed for the West Cambridge maintenance facility to get a tune-up for the upcoming fall.
 #1205243  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

agarturbo wrote:That was the rail washer that you saw this morning. I saw 3247 hauling it away from BET from the 408 this morning. At last report there were 2 of these contraptions in the system. Didn't happen to notice which one this was as it went by. I figured it was headed for the West Cambridge maintenance facility to get a tune-up for the upcoming fall.
The other rail washer unit is currently calling the west end of Trk 1 in Readville yard home