Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1437570  by RenegadeMonster

Yeah.

The passenger count train is back to 5 cars this week. Wonder why they only had 4 cars all last week.

Also, will the passenger count train ever hit all the different trains? Or is it sticking to certain trains for now.

For example, the Rockport Express at 7:53 in Salem gets it a couple times a week in the morning. But the 8:28 Newburyport never gets it. Also, it's never been on train 173, 6:05 pm out of North station.
 #1437591  by jaymac

More on increased car-counts for the Fitchburg Line:
The 07-12-2017 400 had 5 flats and 1 bi with the 2018, and the 402 had a bi leader, 2 flats, a bi, another flat, and the 1122.
 #1437727  by KevinSun242

Can't really speak for the earlier ones but 404 never seems to have enough seats and the two PM express trains seem to struggle often as well. We once had a 7 car train with one Rotem on 404, but that was the only time I've ever seen that happen.

I guess the one saving grace is that being an express train, people aren't standing for too long until the train pulls into Porter.
 #1437819  by RenegadeMonster

Passenger count train is back down to 4 cars this afternoon.

But that's not whats fascinating. For the first time ever I got to see them use the powered doors in Salem. Never seen that before even with this Passenger count train when used as a rush hour train.

I took the 1:20 Newburyport train home this afternoon out of North Station. Only worked a half day.

It was cool how the powered doors operate on only the occupied cars. only 2 of the 4 double deckers were occupied on this train. Only one conductor. He opened all 4 doors, 2 on each car automatically and closed them all automatically.

Wish they would use this in the morning at Salem when the train is used. Cough, everyone pulls the red lever and opens their own doors.
 #1438090  by RenegadeMonster

Was on a 6 car set of flats tonight. Saw another 5 car set of flats at north station tonight.

But that wasn't the most interesting thing I saw.

I saw a set on the Eastern, we past it in Chelsea where the engine was on the inbound side and the double decker control cab on the outbound side. Never seen that before. The only time I have ever seen a engine on the Inbound side is when there has been a engine at both ends of the set.
 #1438122  by StefanW

Right now I'm on train 409 which just left North Station with 6 flats and a bi... that's right 7 coaches! I haven't seen a 7 car set on the north side in years and years IIRC.
 #1438129  by StefanW

RenegadeMonster wrote:It appears they are are at least 3 7 card sets right now. 1 of them has 2 double deckers.

Also saw a 8 car set this morning!
8 cars north side or south side?

I suppose this means the new BET wheel truing machine is in full operation - finally!
 #1438337  by octr202

RenegadeMonster wrote:Was on a 6 car set of flats tonight. Saw another 5 car set of flats at north station tonight.

But that wasn't the most interesting thing I saw.

I saw a set on the Eastern, we past it in Chelsea where the engine was on the inbound side and the double decker control cab on the outbound side. Never seen that before. The only time I have ever seen a engine on the Inbound side is when there has been a engine at both ends of the set.
Wonder if that's a product of BET area getting crowded. With no equipment up in Rockport or Salem overnight, there's a lot of sets that have to live in the city now.

Also...that might be driving some of the big sets people are seeing. You're not going to need as many sets to cover the Eastern route right now, as many (perhaps all) will turn back on something much earlier in the schedule than normal. Perhaps that equipment is being broken out for longer sets elsewhere.
 #1438343  by RenegadeMonster

You would actually be surprised. As far as ridership I haven't noticed a drop off on the Eastern. At least on the trains I take.

Been on the 7:23 Express out of Salem every morning so far this week and we have been 6 and 7 car sets. And we are filling the to where there are 2 people in each seat. Only the 6 car sets saw people squeezing in middle seats.

It's odd seeing Salem Station have as many people board as you see at North Station get on the train for the Commute Home.