Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1449245  by nomis

Robbing Peter to pay Paul ...
 #1450611  by F-line to Dudley via Park

What's with all the 300-series coaches stuffed on the Old Colony this week? The auto-door Pullmans have virtually disappeared from their normal OC assignments all of a sudden.

I must admit, the duct tape jobs on the '87-era Bombers' fraying seat covers are quite...uh...admirable in execution.
 #1458026  by sonicdoommario

Are we on another car shortage lately? I've seen some weird sets on the Providence line lately (I saw a 2 double/4 flat set recently), a 4 car set (3 doubles and a single), and even some all-flat sets (which increasingly seemed like a rarity on the Providence line).

Not to mention, the 842/821 set has been a 7 double set for a few weeks now. This isn't a permanent change, is it? Or was Providence being greedy with 3 8-double sets to work with? :P
 #1470207  by chrisf

sonicdoommario wrote:That blue MassDOT locomotive was used for train 819 today, I think it's an F40PH. Is that locomotive normally used for commuter service, or do we have some locomotive shortage right now?
It's used for commuter service regularly.
 #1474656  by MBTA3247

Doubleheaders usually mean one of two things: both units are ailing, and one is providing traction power while the other provides HEP until both can be shopped; or one just got out of the shop from a non-routine repair, and the second unit is along as protection.