• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by The EGE

Couple of interesting ones on the Worcester Line today (I was located near Yawkey). Around 3:00 a work loco headed westbound trailing a tank car, a flatcar with work equipment, and a single-level coach. About 3:30, #805 (plus a flat and a geep) headed eastbound, presumably coming from the GJ.
  by ck4049

The 1070 was on a rail washer train that looked like the consist you were talking about.
  by GP40MC1118

That was the Southside Terminal Switcher with GP40MC 1116 lite engine to BET...Picked up
two coaches.

The 1070 was on the Northside Power Wash Train today.

D
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

904 had the honors yesterday for the Southside washtrain and a 15**, passed them heading outbound at Natick around 4pm
  by ns3010

GP40MC1118 wrote:Another Coach extra to Davisville today...OD 830AM...Two coaches (378 & 607) for
"wrapping". They should be picking up four coaches (325,361,1625 & 1632).

D

Who is the contractor that is doing the wrapping? Any particular reason that it's not being done at BET (too many cars to do, perhaps?)?
  by sery2831

There is a thread on the wrap program somewhere. But the short is, the work was being done at BET but was moved to the Seaview RR recently.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

GEO train making the rounds around the Southside these coming days. This morning, did the Old Colony lines, had the 1052, ***, ***, geo car, 1522 bringing up the tail end...tmmw is the branch lines of the MBTA
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

consist operating Southside, 11/25 with a locomotive on each end

also 20 psgr cars OOS in Readville for various problems, needed calendar day tests, etc.
  by Diverging Route

Spotted this morning around 10am at South Station, a real mixed bag:

F40R-810-800-6xx-2xx-9xx-17xx
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Diverging Route wrote:Spotted this morning around 10am at South Station, a real mixed bag:

F40R-810-800-6xx-2xx-9xx-17xx
many of these odd sets running around lately...K's/R's on either end and the flats occupying the middle of the consist
  by MBTA1016

Not really an interesting consist but u didn't want to start a thread with my question. Yesterday around 4:30 I saw 1067 pushing an inbound train and a red bag over the coupler of the locos nose caught my attention. Why was the bag over the coupler and why are they only on the locos?
  by Diverging Route

Mbta fan wrote:Not really an interesting consist but u didn't want to start a thread with my question. Yesterday around 4:30 I saw 1067 pushing an inbound train and a red bag over the coupler of the locos nose caught my attention. Why was the bag over the coupler and why are they only on the locos?
It's a "shower cap," and keeps snow and ice out of the coupler.