Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1387296  by chrisf

Komarovsky wrote:1056 is on 552 this morning, guess this means it's no longer a cape flyer exclusive.
1056 was heading inbound just south of Forest Hills last night around 5pm. I can't imagine that the T has the luxury of dedicating a trainset to the Cape Flyer at this point.
 #1387873  by csor2010

chrisf wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:1056 is on 552 this morning, guess this means it's no longer a cape flyer exclusive.
1056 was heading inbound just south of Forest Hills last night around 5pm. I can't imagine that the T has the luxury of dedicating a trainset to the Cape Flyer at this point.
It's paired with 1507 for those who use Stefan's tracker - currently running on 517.
 #1388452  by sonicdoommario

Rode the commuter rail for the first time since the new schedules. 808, since at least Thursday and Friday, has had 7 bi-levels and 1 flat. Under the old schedule, that set was pretty much used for 808 and 819 (which is now 825), and those 880X trains (that go from Providence to Wickford and vice versa).

With the new schedule, train 825 (5:40 from South Station) becomes train 834 (7:35 out of Wickford Junction). What happens to that train set when it comes back up to Boston? Does it get used for one of the late night trains back down to Providence? Or does it sneak back down to Providence overnight?

Also, seeing as it's the weekend, is that train pretty much going to stay in Boston for the weekend for maintenance, and possibly get its 8th bi-level car back? I remember one time under the old schedule when 808 had 7 bi-levels/1 flat, that on a Friday, train 826 (7:30 from Providence) used that train set to go back up to Boston, instead of using its normal train set (821, 6:10 from South Station).

I go back up to Boston for work on Monday, so we shall see.

I'm kind of psyched to find a message board for stuff like this, lol.
 #1390065  by octr202

Komarovsky wrote:Sperry Rail car spotted in Beacon Park this morning.
I just hope they don't try to assign it to cover a Worcester line trip.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :wink:
 #1390616  by sonicdoommario

Is 808/825 back to being 7 bi-levels/1 flat again? I decided to do some sightseeing (to see how train 808/825/834 gets back to Rhode Island for the night), as train 825 (5:40 PM from South Station), turns around and becomes 834 (7:45PM from Wickford Junction). It looks as if it immediately turns around and becomes train 835 (10:00PM from South Station), and saw a 7 bi-level/1 flat set pass through Attleboro at roughly 10:50. It'll most likely stay like this for the rest of the week, right? I go up to Boston on Friday, so hopefully train 808 has lighter than normal ridership, it being Friday of a holiday weekend.
 #1391165  by sonicdoommario

Under the old schedule, Providence train 811 (3:30PM from South Station), had a 6 bi-level car train set. The similar train is train 817 now (3:25PM from South Station). I've noticed that this train normally has 4 bi-levels/2 flats.

The biggest difference is that the old 811 was an all-stop train from South Station to Providence. The new 817 is a Ruggles to Sharon express (skipping Hyde Park/128/Canton Junction), and goes all the way down to Wickford Junction.

Does the MBTA believe they lost a good amount of ridership by removing those 3 stops to justify the smaller train set, that wasn't offset by the new TF Green/Wickford riders?
 #1391240  by Komarovsky

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Said Sperry car, 125, called the MOW stub track within GREEN Int. a nice resting spot 6/27
And now on a siding in Worcester outside the DPW yard. Does the new rail need to be ground already or is it just on it's way out west?