Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1118530  by M&Eman

djlong wrote:Hey, I wouldn't mind if I was in Boston and it took longer for the train than the car - because of the traffic. That wasn't my point.

My point was it being a longer train ride from Boston than driving from *NH*. Now, in order for me to take the train I either have to drive to Alewife or Lowell and add THAT transit time (Alewife-South Station or Lowell/North Station/Park Street South Station).

Make no mistake, I really want this to succeed. If it's even CLOSE to competitive, I predict I'll be using this service for one-way trips to meet up with my wife on the Cape without having to take extra days off.
I think the target of the service will be residents of central Boston or Cambridge, many of whom do not own cars or would get caught in gridlock on a Friday rush hour. Suburbanites or exurbanites such as yourself will not be the target of this service.
 #1118662  by highgreen215

I can see some travelers coming a much longer distance, say, from New York or Washington via Amtrak and making the connection to the Cape at South Station. I can also see some passengers continuing from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket via the ferries, perhaps returning the following week to board the train back.
 #1118690  by atlantis

Okay, I'm steeling my nerves for that special jelly donut, LOL! BTW, I also hope the train makes the stops in Wareham, Buzzards Bay, etc. Also Hopefully it will lead to daily service with benefits to residents as well.
 #1118809  by djlong

M&Eman wrote: I think the target of the service will be residents of central Boston or Cambridge, many of whom do not own cars or would get caught in gridlock on a Friday rush hour. Suburbanites or exurbanites such as yourself will not be the target of this service.
Yeah, you're probably right... It's just frustrating at times because I've been paying taxes to MA (non-resident state income taxes) for 30 of the 34 years I've been employed and it would be nice to have some of the services. Some say just "having the job" should be "service enough", but that logic doesn't apply to residents. Part of the frustration is seeing the tracks across the river in Nashua from my bedroom window and seeing that asset just sitting there, *mostly* unused.
 #1118877  by M&Eman

djlong wrote:
M&Eman wrote: I think the target of the service will be residents of central Boston or Cambridge, many of whom do not own cars or would get caught in gridlock on a Friday rush hour. Suburbanites or exurbanites such as yourself will not be the target of this service.
Yeah, you're probably right... It's just frustrating at times because I've been paying taxes to MA (non-resident state income taxes) for 30 of the 34 years I've been employed and it would be nice to have some of the services. Some say just "having the job" should be "service enough", but that logic doesn't apply to residents. Part of the frustration is seeing the tracks across the river in Nashua from my bedroom window and seeing that asset just sitting there, *mostly* unused.
The onus is on New Hampshire to provide services to their residents, not Massachusetts, even though its looking like they are going to get a free ride on Plaistow. NH has gotten free rides from MA and Maine for long enough. Lobby your own lawmakers in NH for rail service to Nashua and Manchester.
 #1118971  by boblothrope

highgreen215 wrote:I can see some travelers coming a much longer distance, say, from New York or Washington via Amtrak and making the connection to the Cape at South Station. I can also see some passengers continuing from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket via the ferries, perhaps returning the following week to board the train back.
The Hyannis ferry dock is a reasonable walk from the train station for an able-bodied person. But it's still much more convenient to take a bus from Boston that stops right at the dock.

Did the railroad ever get any closer to the Steamship Authority dock?

I see a street called Old Colony Road that looks like it's on a former extension of the ROW. It ends at what looks like an abandoned pier. Did the railroad once serve a different ferry dock as well?
 #1118980  by BostonUrbEx

boblothrope wrote:Did the railroad ever get any closer to the Steamship Authority dock?

I see a street called Old Colony Road that looks like it's on a former extension of the ROW. It ends at what looks like an abandoned pier. Did the railroad once serve a different ferry dock as well?
In short: yes. I don't have much in details, but Old Colony Rd is built where the line used to continue. I'm not sure if the train cars went direct onto ferries (I don't think so), or it was just a hop-off-hop-on transfer.
 #1119041  by highgreen215

I assume the regional transit authority would have the foresight to provide shuttle service from the Hyannis station to the boat docks. The Steamship Authority, which runs to Nantucket, and the Hyline, which runs to Martha's Vineyard, have their docks in two different locations about a quarter mile apart, so a shuttle from the train only makes sense.
 #1119069  by The EGE

The service has an official name now: CapeFLYER.
Thomas Cahir, administrator of the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, state officials and business leaders spent Wednesday happily touting the CapeFLYER, a weekender train service announced this week that will run five trips from Friday night through Sunday night during the summer season between Boston and Cape Cod

The service will cost between $180,000 and $190,000 to run for the entire season, Cahir said.

The money comes from more than $1 million that the transit authority receives from the Federal Transit Administration for mobility and transit programs, he said.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /-1/NEWS10
 #1119105  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the track is indeed 30 mph, 5 mph over the Buzzards Bay RR bridge. Trains that operate on the cape get their Form D's from their dispatcher located at Buzzards Bay Tower. This has been in the talks since the end of this past May, they were going to try and start it Memorial Day of '12, but it was delayed a year. All the pieces have been quietly falling into place...rebuilding the line with Federal money, replacing ties, grade crossings, etc and then Iowa Central buying, bringing equipment over and poof now we have Cape Cod rail service. remember that Iowa Central has only been in the picture about 2 months and this plan quickly come together with that final piece....I love it