Railroad Forums 

• Increase Worcester service start-up date.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1253572  by Komarovsky

I've got a copy of the previous schedule that they originally wanted to implement. If I can find out how to post it on the board I'll upload it. One of the other big changes is the addition of Framingham to the revised P582/P583 schedules. They seem to think it will only add 3 minutes to the commute and they'll be able to pass the previous local at some point to speed up the trip despite that. I'll believe it when I see it.
 #1256101  by harshaw

On the new Worcester schedule there are several instances where the express train will pass the local train. In the morning this happens where the 582 passes the 504. In the evening, the 583 passes the 529. There may be some other cases. A couple of questions:

At first blush it seems that the MBTA is taking advantage of controlling the dispatching and having the ability to run two trains in one direction (which presumably they couldn't do under CSX). However, how much leeway is is there in the schedule when the inevitable delay occurs? Are there other similar passing schemes in place in the system currently - and if so how well do they work?

When you have two trains moving towards each other on the same track how much distance much there be between the two trains and the next switch? With exception of the unused tracks near the beacon yard there aren't any sidings between Back Bay and Framingham. Obviously there must be cross over points but I don't know how many.

thanks
 #1256110  by TrainManTy

You can find a 1993 track chart of the commuter rail system here:
http://www.dbperry.net/mbtacommuterrailnetwork.pdf

To the best of my knowledge:

The Worcester Line has not seen major changes since this map, with the exception of whatever happens near Beacon Park. One crossover was added between Ashland and Framingham, CP24.

The new transflo terminal in Westborough (at the site of the old autorack terminal on the map) still does not have crossovers. Worcester yard was reconfigured for the new intermodal terminal, but the new CP42 interlocking where the east lead joins the main does not have a crossover. Trains still cross at CP43.
 #1256114  by Rockingham Racer

harshaw wrote:On the new Worcester schedule there are several instances where the express train will pass the local train. In the morning this happens where the 582 passes the 504. In the evening, the 583 passes the 529. There may be some other cases. A couple of questions:

At first blush it seems that the MBTA is taking advantage of controlling the dispatching and having the ability to run two trains in one direction (which presumably they couldn't do under CSX). However, how much leeway is is there in the schedule when the inevitable delay occurs? Are there other similar passing schemes in place in the system currently - and if so how well do they work?

When you have two trains moving towards each other on the same track how much distance much there be between the two trains and the next switch? With exception of the unused tracks near the beacon yard there aren't any sidings between Back Bay and Framingham. Obviously there must be cross over points but I don't know how many.

thanks
In your second paragraph, you are referring to an overtake situation. Usually, there is not much leeway in the schedule for this move, and both trains have to be on time for this scenario to be carried out without delaying a train. Concerning the third paragraph, two trains running in opposite directions on the same track have to be in CTC territory to do that, and they can both approach a controlled signal with crossovers, stop, and look each other in the eye if that's what the dispatcher were to have them do. Obviously, the goal is to keep trains moving, so one of them will get out of the way of the other by crossing over to the other track. Happens all the time in CTC territory.
 #1256270  by harshaw

A bit of a rocky start. The 508 was stuck (presumably waiting for a signal at CP11) for a good 10-15 minutes this morning. Also, the 508 had one less car which means we are all very friendly right now...
 #1256408  by Komarovsky

harshaw wrote:A bit of a rocky start. The 508 was stuck (presumably waiting for a signal at CP11) a good 10-15 minutes this morning. Also, the 508 had one less car which means we are all very friendly right now...
At least they gave us 011 to attempt to keep the ambitious schedule on track. I was wondering why we were accelerating so quickly ;). If the past is any indication, 508/523 will probably be back to its usual 8 car set shortly.
 #1256523  by daytripper1

The newly revised equipment cycle has 508/523 with a 7 car K set; there's no plan as of now to use one of the 8 car sets for these trains. Now, that could change when more Rotems and the rebuilt Ks come back.

The two 8 car sets are currently earmarked for Franklin and Providence.
 #1256541  by harshaw

daytripper1 wrote:The newly revised equipment cycle has 508/523 with a 7 car K set; there's no plan as of now to use one of the 8 car sets for these trains. Now, that could change when more Rotems and the rebuilt Ks come back.

The two 8 car sets are currently earmarked for Franklin and Providence.
Are there only two 8 car sets in the system? That's pretty amazing. Let's hope they add a car back, even if it is a flat car near the locomotive.. I don't know about ridership on other lines but the 508/523 train is full most days. It's not like India where people are riding on the roof but it is close :) Yesterday it was standing room only on the full length of the car making it very difficult for people to get out at Yawkey. The other issue historically is that the 512 was a set of flat cars that filled up around Natick.
 #1256588  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

as for the PVD 8 car set, I sure do hope that it has been assigned to the 5:40p out of South Station, #819, that train has need 8 cars for far too long, much busier than 508/523....trust me I've worked them both many times, different times of the year, and #819 takes the prize...as for the morning run, I can see #808 taking the superset in, mind you, I have yet to see the newly revised line-up as of today
 #1256947  by emannths

What's up with 510? One pdf says it skips Wellesley Farms and Auburndale. The others say it doesn't. In practice it doesn't.

Incorrect schedule: http://mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Documents ... cester.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (linked to from the "Notes" section in the bottom left of http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail ... e=WORCSTER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Actual schedule: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Docum ... cester.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1257171  by Komarovsky

I wonder why Auburndale is getting all this extra service(510 and 512 now stop there) but none of the other Newton stops are getting anything additional. More than a few of my fellow Worcester line riders have commented to me that 512 is now a train of last resort since it now gets in well past 9 because of the stops at Auburndale and Yawkey.
 #1258229  by Joe51

A couple of thoughts on the new schedule compared to the pre-Yawkey construction schedule (January 11, 2010).

The previous schedule had an express leaving Worcester at 5:40 making all stops through West Natick, followed by all stops locals leaving at 6:05 and 6:30 and another express (through Natick) at 6:55.

Under the new schedule, if the 582 is cancelled as it was Monday, there is no service at all for a minimum of 50 minutes.

I took the 535 (all stops local leaving South Station at 6:40) home tonight. While it's nice to have something to Worcester between 5:55 and 7:18, most of the passengers got off by Framingham and fewer than 10 got off in Grafton. I hoped the previous schedule (express to West Natick leaving Boston at 6:15, followed by a local to Framingham at 6:30) would be reinstated.