• Increase Worcester service start-up date.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by harshaw

emannths wrote:I'd be really happy if I lived west of Natick. But selfishly, as someone that commutes from Wellesley Square, I can't say I like it.
You know of course that those of us in the western burbs wish there was only *one* Wellesley stop ;) A bit funny that you hate on Newton. The whole thing is a tough nut to crack.

The MBTA went through an entire exercise of asking for our opinions. It would be nice to know the results of that survey. Another idea is to have them float some alternate schedules and see customer reaction. For instance, a schedule with skip stop service.

Also, what happens when Brighton Landing opens? Will they stop every train there?
  by The EGE

Emannths, you're definitely right in your complaints. Frankly the line needs to be fully split - like many longer lines are - into Framingham locals and Worcester expresses, so that all stops get fair service.

Harshaw, the latest I have heard is that Boston Landing will get two morning rush inbounds, two evening rush outbounds, and an unknown amount of off-peak service. It will be an island platform and not constrained as the one-platform Newton stops are, but still subject to interlocking locations.
  by Komarovsky

The EGE wrote:Emannths, you're definitely right in your complaints. Frankly the line needs to be fully split - like many longer lines are - into Framingham locals and Worcester expresses, so that all stops get fair service
This is really the ultimate solution and maybe they'll get around to it if/when the T buys some DMUs and raises all the east of Framingham platforms, adds cabs and throws in a few interlockings inside 128.. It would probably work with the current infrastructure and equipment but there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for too many more locals before the expresses start to get slowed down significantly.

Has the T ever thought of building a permanent station where the green line meets the Worcester line right inside 128 and reworking the Newton stops to work with the D line(maybe get rid of them?).
  by BandA

Komarovsky wrote:Has the T ever thought of building a permanent station where the green line meets the Worcester line right inside 128 and reworking the Newton stops to work with the D line(maybe get rid of them?).
You mean the original Riverside Station? What I'd like to see is a fully Automatic Train Operation shuttle running from Riverside green line to Auburndale Station. Use an orange line car (or two), enclose the existing track with double chain link fence, with motion detectors to keep out the two and four legged coyotes. Either third rail or catanery, whichever is safer and more reliable. East of the junction, restore a third track for the short distance along the mainline, widening the pike bridge, butting the shuttle right up to the existing platform, or if you want to cheap out put shuttle platform west of the pike bridge with a foot path under that bridge and Woodland Rd bridge, about 800 ft. Note that Auburndale and the original Riverside Station are about 1,200 feet apart apart, which is probably why Riverside stop was discontinued in the mid 70s. Such a shuttle would be a boost to Auburndale Square, and take some drivers off the Ma$$ Pike/128/riverside parking lot.
  by TrainManTy

BandA wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Has the T ever thought of building a permanent station where the green line meets the Worcester line right inside 128 and reworking the Newton stops to work with the D line(maybe get rid of them?).
You mean the original Riverside Station? What I'd like to see is a fully Automatic Train Operation shuttle running from Riverside green line to Auburndale Station. Use an orange line car (or two), enclose the existing track with double chain link fence, with motion detectors to keep out the two and four legged coyotes. Either third rail or catanery, whichever is safer and more reliable. East of the junction, restore a third track for the short distance along the mainline, widening the pike bridge, butting the shuttle right up to the existing platform, or if you want to cheap out put shuttle platform west of the pike bridge with a foot path under that bridge and Woodland Rd bridge, about 800 ft. Note that Auburndale and the original Riverside Station are about 1,200 feet apart apart, which is probably why Riverside stop was discontinued in the mid 70s. Such a shuttle would be a boost to Auburndale Square, and take some drivers off the Ma$$ Pike/128/riverside parking lot.
We're starting to drift off-topic...but why would you introduce another type of equipment that has to be maintained, not to mention one that needs high-level platforms? Wouldn't it be far better to use a single Type 8 that can use low platforms and be maintained at Riverside?
  by daytripper1

Word came this afternoon; schedule has been delayed until Jan 27. Issue with the elevator at Yawkey.
  by harshaw

daytripper1 wrote:Word came this afternoon; schedule has been delayed until Jan 27. Issue with the elevator at Yawkey.
why isn't the MBTA using it's text messaging system with these announcements? People have already seen the new schedule. There isn't anything on mbta.com announcing a change (although they did seem to pull the schedule from http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail ... e=WORCSTER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
  by Komarovsky

More delays with Yawkey, seriously? I should be thankful that they have both tracks in service though, I've already seen improvements with keeping schedule at back back.
  by harshaw

harshaw wrote: why isn't the MBTA using it's text messaging system with these announcements? People have already seen the new schedule. There isn't anything on mbta.com announcing a change (although they did seem to pull the schedule from http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail ... e=WORCSTER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
the MBCR just sent out an email announcing the change. nice.
  by harshaw

"The MBTA has advised that the implementation of the revised Worcester Line schedules, which were to be placed into effect on Monday January 27, 2014, has been delayed until further notice."
  by Komarovsky

Just got the T alert for that. I can't imagine it's yawkey holding things up now, that looks pretty much finished. I'm thinking some people east of Framingham got upset that they didn't get thrown any bones.
  by Komarovsky

According to the T, apparently Yawkey still won't be ready by the 27th and they're not willing to speculate about when it will be done. The spokesperson also mentioned that they were going to tweak the schedule based on public comments that were made on the previously released new schedule.
  by harshaw

The MBTA just announced that March 10th is the new date for the Framingham / Worcester Schedule.

I wish I had a copy of the old schedule to do a comparison. The one big difference I see off the top of my head was there was a 630 PM express in the evening that seems to have been replaced with a local. This is disappointing since having having your only expresses at 4, 5, and 5:30 seems to not reflect the reality of people's work schedules. I guess the handful of people that get off at inside 128 will be really happy. And the MBTA seems to have appeased the Wellesley ridership, gods knows they need more service.