Railroad Forums 

• Countdown Signs Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1117974  by RedLantern

How is the data actually calculated? Is it using data from the signal system to detect the location of each train? Is it running based on average time from fixed locations such as each station?
 #1117980  by diburning

I'm not sure, but it seems that the countdown timers at the stations may be using a different system or is obtaining different data than what the MBTA releases as "real time data." I've noticed that the real time data released for app developers isn't quite correct. For example, it would show a train between station B and station C when it's really between station A and station B, approaching station B. The apps/tracker sites with countdown timers sometimes count down to 0:00 and no train would show up.

However, I've never seen an in-station countdown timer that has ever been wrong.
 #1118027  by SM89

As of last night around 10pm the countdown signs were on from at least Sullivan to Roxbury Crossing. They were back to just the time in the corner this morning though. I know they're still in testing, but it seemed the only obvious issue was that some trains would show up as "train" instead of "oak grove" or "frst hills". Also, the display in the lobby at Ruggles had something completely different than what was on the platform display.
 #1118177  by The EGE

Signs on the Green Line areas at Haymarket and Government Center were set to the time only this afternoon; those at North Station were turned off entirely.
 #1120253  by CircusFreakGRITZ

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:They now have them at Wood Island and Government Center. They weren't working.
Gov't Center? That makes total sense, given they are shutting down the station soon. -_-
 #1120281  by diburning

Central is set up with the clock in the corner, but no info yet.

Charles/MGH may or may not get it. The signs are narrower in height than the other ones, and they don't display the time. Also, when an announcement is made, for example "Attention Passengers, the next red line train to Alewife is now approaching" the message is displayed on BOTH sides.
 #1120720  by SM89

24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?
 #1120858  by saulblum

SM89 wrote:24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?
The rollout of these signs to every other line is making the Green Line signaling deficiencies clear to riders.
 #1120876  by boblothrope

SM89 wrote:24 additional stations along the blue, orange, and red lines now have their countdown signs up and running as of this morning (no longer in testing). Maybe they will be able to get them all done by the end of the year as originally announced?
Where did you hear that it was 24 stations? I noticed a few stations went live Sunday night, but was there an official announcement today?
 #1120882  by Adams_Umass_Boston

boblothrope wrote:
Where did you hear that it was 24 stations? I noticed a few stations went live Sunday night, but was there an official announcement today?
Its been a big story all day Bob
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/17/n ... gins-work/
 #1121338  by BostonUrbEx

I don't understand why they can't put the date under the current time...

If you can fit "12:30" (for example), then you can fit "12/18" in the empty space under it.