Railroad Forums 

• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1607494  by BandA

hxa wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:01 pm A "door problem" is not necessarily a "door defect". Anything stuck in the gap between the doors and the car body or between the doors and the guide rails may result in a door problem. The motors aren't very powerful. This is by design, since you may end up with severe injuries if someone has his fingers or toes in the gap, otherwise.

Perhaps the only way to avoid such problems is to control the crowdedness, so that passengers aren't in frequent contact with these doors.
Media report was the door would not close, they fussed with it for like ?15? minutes, delaying service, then took the train out of service. I don't know anything further.
 #1607525  by CSRR573

typesix wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:57 pm Where cars are headed, including Seashore.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09/12/ ... ed_Results
Oh man there's a great comment on that article that I Just have to share. One commenter asked this question "Can’t they move any of these cars closer to Middleboro on tracks?" and was met with a great response, "Train tracks aren't uniformly spaced and sized. So you can't run an orange line train on commuter rail or freight tracks, and vice versa."
 #1613074  by dieciduej

Disney Guy wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:36 am Should be plenty of older (Hawker Siddeley) trains still usable.
I believe the are 48 Hawkers, 8 sets, listed as in service aka ready to go. The problem is willingness and clearance to do so. With the change in Governor that may change the willingness but I still think there is a clearance issue with the DPU, FTA or some regulating body.
 #1613075  by dieciduej

typesix wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm More bad news about CRRC quality control:
CRRC is a Chinese government based company, that can pump out 10,000 rail cars at home. No real need for QC, if a car goes down there are 9,999 left. Here when you are dealing with and order of only 450 cars QC is important. Back in the day when I worked at RCA I had an Army officer as a bug up my *** checking QC, for some reason I don't think the MBTA is in the building at Springfield. What standards are in China are different in the USA.

I think at some point we will get what ever cars/shells and end up building/overhauling them ourselves.

As an aside how is the CTA 7000s contract going?
 #1613698  by typesix

Worker experiences at the Springfield factory:

Workers building the new Orange and Red Line cars in Springfield describe a toxic, error-prone factory
The Boston Globe wrote:Starting nearly a decade ago, Massachusetts leaders made a promise that now appears to have been too good to be true: In exchange for more than $800 million, a Chinese company would build 404 new Red and Orange Line cars for the MBTA by 2023 in a brand-new Springfield factory, resurrecting the long-dormant railcar manufacturing industry in Western Massachusetts and creating hundreds of stable local jobs.

But nearly five years after the factory got up and running, only 90 of around 340 cars that were supposed to have been delivered by now are in the hands of the MBTA, and even fewer are carrying passengers. A battery explosion, derailment, loose brake bolts, and electrical arcing have forced the T to repeatedly pull the new cars out of service and rely on faulty old cars that were supposed to be retired decades ago.
Last edited by CRail on Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fair use quote added.