Railroad Forums 

• MBTA HSP46 & MP36 Front Dirt Problem

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1547371  by bostontrainguy

I was wondering if anyone at the T considered putting some kind of spoiler on the roofs of these rounded nose engines to eliminate or reduce the black grime that accumulates on the front when they are run in reverse. It looks unsightly, must be a maintenance headache and probably is causing visibility issues on the affected windshields. Also looks like it might also reduce the headlight efficiency. Would that work?
Attachments:
14905338512_45a65284b0_c.jpg
14905338512_45a65284b0_c.jpg (144.18 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
201905_WB-20190514-NEWS01-190519984-AR.jpg
201905_WB-20190514-NEWS01-190519984-AR.jpg (164.02 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
 #1547405  by BandA

Shows even with Tier-III emissions that there is still a lot of particulates. Windshield wipers should remove it from the windows, just clean the headlights frequently.
 #1547528  by MACTRAXX

BTG: I have spotted this SCORCH MARK problem from diesel exhaust in the past.

This affects all railroads that operate trains in push-pull service using diesel locomotives.

I suggested some sort of deflector or manifold to try and alleviate this problem.
The design would have to be something that deflects exhaust upward as the locomotive
trails and not be a wind problem aerodynamically when the locomotive leads the train.

One of the best examples in Boston of scorch markings that I remember was at South
Station above the tracks that go under the overbuild at the station. The tunnel through
Back Bay Station on the Southwest Corridor route is another place remembering the
exhaust problems that have existed there since the line opened in the late 1980s.

Any improvements to help engineers with visibility will always help...MACTRAXX
 #1547546  by MRY

I believe the problem is not so much airflow over the top, but the low air pressure behind the train which sucks the exhaust into the vacant space left by the moving locomotive. Might need a pretty big airfoil to push it up far enough to avoid that effect.
 #1547790  by NaugyRR

If I remember correctly NMRX had some teething issues with the biodiesel ratio and algae growth in the fuel tanks. Biocide and a tuned ratio will avoid that, but I don't know if that's something CR will want to deal with in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

#1547805  by Backshophoss

When NMRX was starting up,not all the MP-36's were online,the Cat HEP would crap out when the Algae plugged the injectors,the prime movers would revert to limp in mode .
NMRX Does work at washing the units on a regular basis,something that MBTA needs to do better on.
Not sure what the blend of Biodiesel they use.
 #1547810  by diburning

The solution could be as simple as installing a spigot with a garden hose at the ends of the platforms at North and South stations. The engineer could simply hose off the headlights and windshields before getting in. If they really don't want to do it, I'd imagine they can create a minimum wage job for some kid to stand at the end of the platform to do it.
 #1547830  by CSRR573

diburning wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 am The solution could be as simple as installing a spigot with a garden hose at the ends of the platforms at North and South stations. The engineer could simply hose off the headlights and windshields before getting in. If they really don't want to do it, I'd imagine they can create a minimum wage job for some kid to stand at the end of the platform to do it.
Over at Amtrak, when the train arrives in the S&I after a run and if the wash machine didnt get everything or if there's larger debris, we have the laborers power wash the units