Railroad Forums 

• Gloucester Draw

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1541278  by GP40MC1118

Is out of service further notice. Happened a couple of days ago. No sets were
stranded in Rockport as everything was being brought into Boston due to the
operational changes for the pandemic.

Understand a spring switch will be installed at the former "Harbor" station site
(just west of the draw). This leaves room for a 5-6 car set to "turn there". I
guess the T will be bussing long term between West Gloucester and Rockport.

The bridge was slated to be replaced in phases, but I guess its condition has
deteriorated to the point of no return.
 #1541329  by Trinnau

Spring switch is already there - you can see it on Google Earth/Maps and was installed when the bridge was singled-tracked a year ago. No word yet on if this is temporary or "permanent" until the new bridge is built.
 #1541483  by GP40MC1118

Thanks. I caught quite a few temp block operator jobs at Harbor, Gloucester Draw and Wilson (the old end of double track east of the
draw) way back when. Lonely places and cold in the winter!

D
 #1545278  by troffey

I believe I saw somewhere it was concerns regarding the abutments, but can't swear to that. It's worth noting work was already underway on rehab when they decided the bridge could no longer be kept in service.
 #1545298  by jsnitkoff

Gloucester Times ran an article today confirming it will be OOS until sometime next summer. There are issues with the abutments and the fill the bridge is built on. Some Rockport residents will be seriously upset when train service returns...
 #1545318  by Trinnau

Press Release from the MBTA website
Unexpected issues have been found during construction, including issues with the Northwest Wall originally constructed in 1911, excavation issues with the East Abutment that precluded partial demolition of the structure, and questions regarding the stability of the bridge span once partial demolition is complete.
Link to the Gloucester Times article
 #1545375  by BandA

Never seen the term "blast rock", basically loose rock fill I think. If the abutment worked for 109 years it was probably a good design.
 #1552519  by specialtrack

Took a ride up the Annisquam River on Sunday (9/13/2020), bridge is now missing the south part of the counterweight. Once it is all gone the channel will be closed for a couple of days while the bridge span is removed. Won't be there much longer.
 #1552742  by Hux

A daily drone flyover would be most useful during this rebuild.