Railroad Forums 

• New cabinet at N end of Silver Spring

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#756433  by farecard

There are new cabinets at the north end of Silver Spring platform. They don't appear to be powered; I assume they are storage. ~6 ft tall, 1 deep and each ~4 ft wide.
 #756485  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
There are new cabinets at the north end of Silver Spring platform. They don't appear to be powered; I assume they are storage. ~6 ft tall, 1 deep and each ~4 ft wide.

On the platform or on the ground on the other side of parapet at the end of the platform?
 #758533  by tommyboy6181

It may be power generators. There was a press release a while back saying that Metro was going to install generators at specific stations or upgrade where needed.
 #758561  by farecard

tommyboy6181 wrote:It may be power generators.
Generators do not fit into 6-8" thick cabinets, with no conduits or exhausts.

The generators are located various places. At Ft. Totten, It's to the east of the CSX tracks, atop the Green Line tunnel portal.

Silver Spring's is off the south platform end.http://tinyurl.com/ye3anu5
 #758602  by farecard

JackRussell wrote:Are there any visible wires going into these boxes?
no
I am wondering if it is just storage for something or another.
I assume they are; but storing what is the question...
Stainless cabinets of that size are anything but cheap.
 #758655  by justalurker66

SchuminWeb wrote:Yeah, storage cabinets aren't cheap. I bought smaller ones for indoor use for my work, and those puppies cost $500 a piece. I can't imagine what ones that size and rugged enough for outdoor use would cost.
Thousands ... although the ones pictured look a little worn - perhaps they got a good deal?
 #758797  by HokieNav

There's a cabinet looking very much like that one on the North end of the Green line to Greenbelt platform at L'Enfant plaza with a sticker on the outside indicating that it's got first aid supplies inside, so the safety equipment thought is a good one.