Railroad Forums 

• NY Ave Station thoughts

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#50692  by CTAA-Rail

I was just curious what others think about the NY Ave station now that it impacts us daily riders more directly. I'm not sure about how I feel on the concept of "in-fill stations" based on the disruption it causes to existing operations. However, Metro has done a pretty good job getting the word out on upcoming disruptions and always has a ton of staff on hand (usually standing around though). I'm curious to see how this experience will influence plans for a Potomac Yards stop on the Blue/Yellow lines.

Also, I'm not sure how well the surrounding area hosts pedestrians and high-density development considering the vacant lots and high traffic density and speeds. Furthermore, if the Expos dont move to DC and have the stadium there, it will present a struggle to maximize the development potential of the area.

The one nice thing will be a very convienient train watching spot at any time of day from a safe distance, providing doing so won't seem suspicious to station managers and Metro police.

#59062  by Robert Paniagua

You're right, New York Avenue will be the perfect railbuff stop to watch not just WMATA trains but Amtrak, MARC and VRE trains as well.

However, you'll have to worry about the MTPD more than the station attendants, the attendants really don't yell at you that much but the WMATA PD, you certainly cannot mess around with those guys. They'll be really clamping down on folks railbuffing (see the railfanning and its consequences thread further down in this Forum).

But in all, that station will be well worth it to railfan.

#69892  by capltd29

I am gonna check it out on tues 23rd before catching the Cap in union station.