Railroad Forums 

• Radio Frequencies used?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#662210  by train2

What radio frequencies are used for voice communication on the Wash. Metro? I find when I get near DC when shooting on the nearby freight roads I get some transmissions that are non-rail related.(I have a bunch of rail freqs in the radio.) I have narrowed one transmission to either baggage masters or red caps at Union Station and the others sound like Metro. My initial thought was Metro would not be on AAR rail freqs. but I am thinking that they are now.

Any help?
 #662334  by Sand Box John

These frequencies were provided to me back in 2001.

They were using the same frequencies last time I had my scanner with me in Washington back 2005.

160.260 OPS-1 Red Line
160.380 OPS-2 Blue Orange Lines
160.620 OPS-3 Blue Yellow Green Lines
161.025 OPS-4 Maintance
160.285 OPS-5 Yards
160.415 OPS-7 Startup
160.385 OPS-8/9 Transt Police

Also see:
FCC Registered Land Mobile Towers in Falls Church, Virginia
FCC Registered Land Mobile Towers in Rockville, Maryland
FCC Registered Land Mobile Towers in Alexandria, Virginia
 #662906  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Also Metrorail Transit Police use 161.3850

The 160.385 I listed above is suppose to be 161.385. I made an error when transcribing the frequencies from a graphic file.
 #664921  by gp40marc69

I programmed in one of the frequencies in my scanner that was listed as the CSX BD Dispatcher for the RF&P sub. I found out that was one of the simulcast frequencies that WMATA uses. I know they migrated most of their communications to P25 digital trunked on the 490MHz spectrum (to which I need a P25 capable scanner to listen to the rail comms).
 #674318  by transit man

Channel 7 (160.415) is used as "terminal control." When a train approaches the end of the line, the operator will switch to channel 7 and give the dispatcher the car number, run and name to the dispatcher. It's low powered, so will only be heard in the vicinity of the terminal station.