Railroad Forums 

• WMATA Alstom cars public viewing

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#274896  by Sand Box John

www.wmata.com/about/MET_NEWS/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1328

Metro Invites Media and the Public to See Its Redesigned Rail Cars

WHAT: As part of Metro’s efforts to improve passenger flow into and out of railcars, officials have redesigned the interiors of some railcars for testing. News reporters and the general public are invited to see a remodeled interior layout of an existing railcar featuring bench seating, more grab bars, and an open floor area to accommodate more passengers. Also on display will be the interior layout of Metro’s newest 6000 series railcars, which differs from all of the other models. This car features back of seat to ceiling poles, no floor to ceiling poles, and some wall grab bars. The 6000 series car is expected to be in service later this summer.

WHEN: Monday, July 31, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Metro Officials will be available from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for the news media.

The General Public will have the opportunity to view the cars from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
WHERE: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Metrorail Station
2400 South Smith Boulevard, Arlington, VA.

#275119  by Robert Paniagua

You going to be there? I certainly won't be, so if you go, lemme know how things go with those 6000s. Those cars, hopefully, should do well.

#275157  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
You going to be there? I certainly won't be, so if you go, lemme know how things go with those 6000s. Those cars, hopefully, should do well.

Not going to be there. During that time window I will be somewhere between being asleep at home in Heberon and Princes Anne Maryland.

#275340  by Robert Paniagua

Sand Box John wrote:"Robert Paniagua"

Not going to be there. During that time window I will be somewhere between being asleep at home in Heberon and Princes Anne Maryland.
Oh ok, I see :-)

Also, can you provide the link to those pictures you took when we were railfanning together back in April? I'll post mine within this week.

#275349  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Also, can you provide the link to those pictures you took when we were railfanning together back in April? I'll post mine within this week.

Of the 208 pictures I took that day the only image that was published to the web was the DULLES sign taken at Branch Avenue. I have no plans to publish the others.

#275481  by Robert Paniagua

Ok, no problem. But I liked the Dulles one you took! That was a good one.

Ill publish mine though, and as far as the 6ks are concerned, lets hope they pass acceptance testing.

#278665  by Mike Morris

Two sets of 6Ks have passed acceptance-the rest have not passed.
FYI the bench seated non 6K cars were not modded by Alstom.