• Areas of interest on MARC/VRE network

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by LandDownUnder

Howdy all

Having introduced myself on the NJ Forum, I'm an Australian tourist who shall be visiting the United States between Mid-July til Mid-August. Although mainly staying out of Philadelphia, I plan on making a few visits down to Washington DC for some 'general railfanning', mainly trying to ride and photograph a variety of trains found out of Washington DC Union.

I'm contemplating on making two day-trips to Washington DC, one of them to take a ride on an example regional train to somewhere abit nice out of town, and the other to ride and photograph many examples of MARC trains out of Washington and Baltimore.

I would like to pose the following queries, which I hope you guys could assist me with:

1) I'm looking to catch a MARC train (Out of Washington DC) to somewhere abit nice outside of town, and was looking for a recommendation of a line and/or destination I should check out. Something like a nice country town, with abit of lake or river nearby. Mainly want to have lunch and check out the local sights (Or spend sometime photographing local traffic like Freight trains, etc) before heading back to DC in the afternoon and heading back to Philadelphia.

At present, I have eyed out Harper's Ferry, Point of Rocks or Brunswick on the Brunswick line, or Perryville on the Penn line, although I would like a second opinion and/or recommendation on those locations.

2) With the above query, I also would like to have a ride on a train that's one of MARC's trains hauled by a HHP-8 electric locomotive and the Bi-level 'double deck' coaches. Which lines and services am would have such trains operating on?

3) Is there any special Day ticket I could get for unlimited travel within the MARC network?

4) A more expanded question, what locomotives and coaches can I expect to see while in DC? (Links to websites/photo galleries would help considerably!).

5) What is MARC and VRE's stance with photography? Yes, I am aware post September 11th Paranoia still exists, although could I apply for some form of photography permit?

6) I'm planning just a short return trip to Fredericksburg on the VRE train out of DC Union. Anything of interest in Fredericksburg, both in a railroad and general context?

7) A non-railroad related query, can anyone recommend a good, popular and cheap place to eat in Washington DC?

Other than that, any assistance given to the queries above would be greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to taking a visit down that way, for something of a change compared to my trips up to NYC.

Thanks!

by BaltOhio

I'm not going to be much help, but at least will try to start the process:

(1) Assuming you don't have a car and want to use MARC service to reach your spot, you may be limited. There's no daytime service on theCamden line and quite limited daytime service on the Brunswick line. If it will work, I might suggest Gaithersburg, MD on the Brunswick line, which has a very picturesque restored early 1880s station and adjacent freight house. Point of Rocks, of course, features the gem of all Victorian stations, but getting there and back by train may pose problems.

The "Penn Line" (using Amtrak's NEC route) has hourly diesel-powered trains all day, but the line isn't too photogenic. In fact, not at all, especially around stations.

(2) Can't answer this one except to say that MARC uses its electrics primarily in rush hour service, and I would suspect that assignment of AEM-7s and HHP-8s is variable. Perhaps you're more likely to find the "bananas" on the Perryville trains, but that's just a guess.

(3) Can't answer this either, but I doubt it.

(4) Again assuming you have no car, good spots for trainwatching are either VRE's L'Enfant Plaza station in DC, easily reached by Metro, or Alexandria King St. station, also reached by Metro. Both spots offer essentially the same traffic -- VRE, Amtrak diesel trains to/from the south (which stop at Alexandria but not L'Enfant), and CSX freights.

(5) Thus far, there have been no serious problems with photography that I know of. But be aware that everyone is a little paranoid and it's possible that you may be questioned by local police. I've heard of no instances, however, where someone has prohibited photography. Alexandria station is a favorite gathering spot for railfans.

(6) Fredericksburg is a historic city and has museums and buildings of general historic interest. Railroadwise, there's nothing you wouldn't see more of in Alexandria, but a very short distance north of the station, the railroad crosses the Rappahanock River on a photogenic concrete arch bridge -- a good photo location if you're lucky enough to catch a CSX freight.

(7) Union Station is loaded with food purveyors of every type.

by njtmnrrbuff

With MARC, you are limited. I don't think there is any bidirectional service on the Brunswick. On the Penn Line, yes; but every two to three hours. The Camden line, you can cover it in both directions, but you have very few trains on the line that enable you to do it. The Frederick branch; forget it. I don't even think greyhound runs anything from there anymore. If you want to view MARC equipment during the weekends, you could always go to Balty. Their equipment is stored along the station tracks.
I myself will be making a trip to the DC area to visit a friend, so I plan to photograph MARC and some of VRE.

by LandDownUnder

Thank you BaltOhio and njt/mnrrbuff for your advice.

As you've also suggested, I've noted the MARC timetables that there seems to be no 'return' day trains on the Brunswick line, which is slightly dissappointing, though not much I can do.

However, I did note that Harpers Ferry is served by Amtrak, and that I would be able to visit this location using my North Eastern Rail America pass. Could someone suggest if Harpers Ferry is one of those 'ideal' locations I could visit in the day?

Thank you

by Hudson Terminus

1.)

Harper's is a nice place to catch the action for an afternoon, but as noted, MARC service is spotty during that time, and you're not likely to see your bi-levels or Electric motors. It has some places to eat, poke around, etc. It's also a nice afternoon photo spot.

My favorite place on the Penn line is Perryville, because of the bridge and the variety of electric Amtrak and MARC power. Pictures are good there anytime of the day, and the scheduling might work better. Other spots on the Penn line aren't so photogenic, but you'll see a lot of trains between Baltimore and DC, and south of Bowie, you chance catching the coal trains that run on the NEC a few times a day.

As for what you can expect to see, here's a link to RailPictures.net...You can search on their main page by location....try Maryland or DC, and you'll get an idea.

www.railpictures.net

by BaltOhio

LandDownUnder wrote:
However, I did note that Harpers Ferry is served by Amtrak, and that I would be able to visit this location using my North Eastern Rail America pass. Could someone suggest if Harpers Ferry is one of those 'ideal' locations I could visit in the day?

Harpers Ferry is an excellent train-watching and photo spot, as well as a historic (Civil War) site operated by the National Parks Service. If things work out, you should get some east-west CSX mainline freights, and perhaps a CSX local or stone train on the "Valley Branch." At or near the passenger station platform, you can get nice views of trains crossing the Potomac and emerging/entering a tunnel on the east side.

There are two railroad bridges here -- one the mainline bridge and, to its east, the "Valley Branch" bridge for the line to Winchester, Va. The deck of the Valley Branch bridge (which was the original mainline bridge, dating to about 1892) was been rebuilt to accommodate a pedestrian walkway to access the east side of the river at the mouth of the railroad trunnel. At this point, too, are remnants of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, the B&O RR's original competitor.

The wood station itself is historic (mid-1890s) and currently is undergoing restoration which, among other things, includes restoring the tower that was removed decades ago. Thus you may find it as a work in progress, with scaffolding, etc.

by BaltOhio

I might add that if your interests run to light rail, be sure to ride the Baltimore system. It has just about everything -- street running, double-track p.r.w., single-track roadside operation -- the whole range of traction environments. Much of the northern section is built on an ex-Pennsylvania RR heavy-duty mainline (the onetime Northern Central Ry.) that dates to the 1830s. The southern section was an ex-high-speed interurban line.

by gprimr1

I am a lifetime Washington DC and Baltimore resident so I can help:
1) I'm looking to catch a MARC train (Out of Washington DC) to somewhere abit nice outside of town, and was looking for a recommendation of a line and/or destination I should check out. Something like a nice country town, with abit of lake or river nearby. Mainly want to have lunch and check out the local sights (Or spend sometime photographing local traffic like Freight trains, etc) before heading back to DC in the afternoon and heading back to Philadelphia.

At present, I have eyed out Harper's Ferry, Point of Rocks or Brunswick on the Brunswick line, or Perryville on the Penn line, although I would like a second opinion and/or recommendation on those locations.
Please understand that if you take the MARC out, you cannot take it back the same day. The last time I checked, MARC only goes into DC in the morining on the Brunswick Line, and out of DC at night. There is no train into DC in the eveing. Amtrak runs the same schedule. I wanted to take a trip to Harpers Ferry but I didn't have cash for a hotel.
2) With the above query, I also would like to have a ride on a train that's one of MARC's trains hauled by a HHP-8 electric locomotive and the Bi-level 'double deck' coaches. Which lines and services am would have such trains operating on?
MARC electrive locos can only operate on the NEC so you'll need to ride the MARC Penn line. It follows the NEC, you'll see alot of Amtrak tech.
3) Is there any special Day ticket I could get for unlimited travel within the MARC network?
No. I think you may need to review mtamaryland.com. Only the Penn Line has all day, north and south service. Camden and Brunswick are limited by CSX. (Camden has no mid-day service.)
4) A more expanded question, what locomotives and coaches can I expect to see while in DC? (Links to websites/photo galleries would help considerably!).
Amtrak Tech mostly at Union Station. If you follow the WMATA Orange line, there is an Orange line station (Brentwood I think) that is situated between the B/O Mainline and the Amtrak Mainline.
5) What is MARC and VRE's stance with photography? Yes, I am aware post September 11th Paranoia still exists, although could I apply for some form of photography permit?
Don't do it at Union Station.

6) I'm planning just a short return trip to Fredericksburg on the VRE train out of DC Union. Anything of interest in Fredericksburg, both in a railroad and general context?
You cannot go to and return from Western Maryland on the same day using MARC or Amtrak.. Please review mtamaryland.com for MARC time tables. Eastbounds only run in the morining and westbounds only run in the afternoon.

7) A non-railroad related query, can anyone recommend a good, popular and cheap place to eat in Washington DC?

Allero's Mexican Restraunt on Conneticut Ave one stop north on WMATA redline's Zoo stop.

Just wanted to summerize MARC for you.

Penn Line=Provides service North and South from like 5am to 10pm. Runs on the NEC.

Camden Line=Service Between DC and Camden Yards. Runs on B/O mainline. Provides North/South Service only during morning and afternoon. No Mid-day service.

Brunswick Line=East bound only in the morning. Westbound only at night. Runs on various routes.

Camden and Brunswick are subject to heat related slow orders.

Baltimore has a nice lightrail system and the B/O museum.

by Hudson Terminus

'If you follow the WMATA Orange line, there is an Orange line station (Brentwood I think) that is situated between the B/O Mainline and the Amtrak Mainline. "

From Cheverly to New Carrollton, the Orange Line parallels (actually was built on ex-PRR ROW) the Amtrak line. The Landover station stop affords the best view of the action at reduced speed (morning shots), though the parking structures at New Carrollton are very nice as well. You can also get brief views of Benning Yard from the Orange line as it departs Deanwood for Stadium/Armory, but I wouldn't call those photo-worthy.

by gprimr1

And as much and you want to, I've heard bennington and eckington yard are places that you should not go under any circumstances.