Railroad Forums 

• Trip to D.C. this week; couple of questions about the Metro

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#255845  by jersey_emt

Hey guys,

I have a business trip down to D.C. this week. I'm taking the Acela Express #2163 on Monday (3pm departure from NYP, scheduled arrival in WAS at 5:49pm). I will be returning on Thursday afternoon or evening, depending on how quickly and smoothly things go with the client.

I have a couple of quick questions about the Metro.

1. I plan on buying a refillable farecard using a credit card. Do the ticket vending machines give receipts? Or do I need to go to a live ticket agent to get a receipt? I need receipts in order to expense out the cost of riding the Metro to/from Union Station and to/from the client's office I will be working in.

2. Do the refillable farecards expire? I know it costs $5 for a card. I am asking this so the next time I visit D.C. I will know whether I need to purchase a new refilable farecard.

3. My hotel (the Renaissance Mayflower) is right near the Farragut North stop on the red line. The client is closest to the Court House stop on the orange line. Is there anything I should know (like do any rush hour trains skip this stop, and how do I know which ones stop at Court House. I will be switching to the orange line at Metro Center)?

4. Is photography allowed in the stations and on the trains? I'm an amateur photographer and would like to take some photos of the (what looks to be from photos I've have seen) beautiful Metrorail system.

5. Any other information an experienced NYC subway rider should know? Specifically any rules that do not exist in the NYC subway system, or ones that do exist but are never enforced. I am already aware of the no food or drink rule.

Thank you for your help and your information! I'm looking foward to the trip.
 #255887  by Sand Box John

"jersey_emt"

I have a business trip down to D.C. this week. I'm taking the Acela Express #2163 on Monday (3pm departure from NYP, scheduled arrival in WAS at 5:49pm). I will be returning on Thursday afternoon or evening, depending on how quickly and smoothly things go with the client.

I have a couple of quick questions about the Metro.

1. I plan on buying a refillable farecard using a credit card. Do the ticket vending machines give receipts? Or do I need to go to a live ticket agent to get a receipt? I need receipts in order to expense out the cost of riding the Metro to/from Union Station and to/from the client's office I will be working in.

As far as I know no. however you can use your credit card statement for proof of expense.

2. Do the refillable farecards expire? I know it costs $5 for a card. I am asking this so the next time I visit D.C. I will know whether I need to purchase a new refilable farecard.

Yes the faircards are refillable, and no they don’t expire. Fairs range from $1.35 to $3.90. You can purchase single fair faircards. Exact fairs between stations can be found at; http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/stations.cfm

3. My hotel (the Renaissance Mayflower) is right near the Farragut North stop on the red line. The client is closest to the Court House stop on the orange line. Is there anything I should know (like do any rush hour trains skip this stop, and how do I know which ones stop at Court House. I will be switching to the orange line at Metro Center)?

I am assuming you are referring to the Court House station in Arlington Virginia on the Orange line. There are no skip this stop on metrorail. Don’t bother using the Farragut North station on the Red line, use the Farragut West station on the south side of Farragut Square. Two block south of the front door of Mayflower. The Court House station is the third stop on the train displaying VIENNA on the destination sign.

4. Is photography allowed in the stations and on the trains? I'm an amateur photographer and would like to take some photos of the (what looks to be from photos I've have seen) beautiful Metrorail system.

Yes photography allowed, however I would not take any pictures from the platform looking in to the tunnels.

5. Any other information an experienced NYC subway rider should know? Specifically any rules that do not exist in the NYC subway system, or ones that do exist but are never enforced. I am already aware of the no food or drink rule.

None that I know of.

Thank you for your help and your information! I'm looking foward to the trip.

Enjoy you visit the National Capitol.
 #256627  by Robert Paniagua

Sand Box John wrote:4. Is photography allowed in the stations and on the trains? I'm an amateur photographer and would like to take some photos of the (what looks to be from photos I've have seen) beautiful Metrorail system.

Yes photography allowed, however I would not take any pictures from the platform looking in to the tunnels.
That's right, certainly AVOID all underground prtions of WMATA even while riding trains, refrain from filming out front, the operator will tell you to put away your camera. Always stick to open-air or EL stations and they won't say anything to you.

Also, remember that flash, strobe flash, floodlights and all tripods are..........out. That is, forbidden for safety/liability reasons.