Railroad Forums 

• Tips for Frederick / Baltimore visit?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#242709  by jtbell

I'm planning a trip to the DC/Baltimore area, and up into Pennsylvania, for basically Memorial Day weekend through the following weekend. At midweek I'm joining up with some friends from another state who will be staying near Frederick. It looks like the area off I-270 near Francis Scott Key Mall, from the motels/hotels they're considering. We're all going into DC for a convention for one day, and I'm going to stay for a few days either before or after, to do some transit-oriented railfanning.

I've visited DC a few times and have plenty of pictures of the Metro, so I plan to concentrate on MARC (particularly the Brunswick/Frederick lines), the Baltimore metro and light rail, and the two streetcar museums (Baltimore and National Capital). Any tips? I'll have my car with me, so convenient transit access isn't required.

Some places that come to my mind are Point of Rocks, Harpers Ferry, and the Thomas Viaduct.

Am I likely to get hassled for taking pictures along MARC, or the Baltimore metro or light rail? The one time I've been in Baltimore before, I didn't have any trouble, but that was before 9/11.

#248422  by njtmnrrbuff

First, you made the right decision to bring the car. MARC service is virtually nonexistant especially on the Frederick Branch. You can't even take any other modes of public transit back from there whereas if you ride the entire Camden line, you have options, but you will probably take a bus back since amtrak is too much money.
I haven't been to Point of Rocks but I can tell you that it's a good place for pictures. This station is at the junction of CSX's Old Main Line and the Metropolitan Sub(used by very few MARC trains as well as Amtrak's daily Capital Limited). Most of the time, you won't get hassled while photographing MARC, but watch out at Union Station. DO NOT even think about wandering onto the platforms if you don't have a ticket, you will be stopped quickly. Even if you are in authorized areas in the station like the parking deck above the terminal which offers terrific views of everything coming into DC from the north, you will be asked to stop what you are doing. Times have changed since 9-11 unfortunately.
I would ride the MTA light rail. Have only ridden it between Penn Station and Camden Yards, but not outside of the city. I hear the northern portion of the line is scenic. I haven't ridden the subway there.

#248424  by njtmnrrbuff

Oh one other thing, MARC doesn't run on weekends.
 #248444  by K3CXG

Point of Rocks is a good place for mainline action; the station is a keeper, as well. Ditto Brunswick - if you're there on the weekend, the Brunswick Railroad Museum is a worthwhile stop. Not much going on in Frederick proper - MARC has a yard there where the equipment lays over in the evenings and on weekends, and there's a new station in downtown. To the northeast in Walkersville is the Walkersville Southern shortline; check their website for passenger train operating times. Finally, northeast in Union Bridge is the home base of the Maryland Midland; don't know how often they run, but you might luck out if you go up there.

Hope this helps!

Mike in Frederick

#250310  by gprimr1

Light Rail in the North is very pretty. In the south you can see alot of CSX Baltimore trackage, the Howard St Tunnel, and some other abandoned tracks as well as some B/O style signals.

If you want a treat and have a car, go to Baltimore beltway and take exit 9 Lansdowne. Then turn left onto Hammonds Ferry road. Go up it a little bit and there is a memoral B/O car w/ parking but more importantly, it sits directly next to 4 CSX tracks. I've seen plenty of CSX on this and i think MARC Camden line uses it. I dont know if you can get here by bus/trail.