Railroad Forums 

• Weekend MARC

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#239208  by octr202

blockss wrote:What a waste of equipment on the weekends?
If demand is low, all they have to do is run fewer and smaller trains. For off peak on the Camden line, it is a shame that they cannot supplement the routes with a few busses. Perhaps more people would use the existing Camden service if there was a way to get back.
But how do you measure the waste? Considering that rush hour transit and commuter service rarely covers its operating expenses from fares, how would weekend service do? Even if you reduce the consist somewhat, the only real savings you get are fewer assistant conductors (possibly, depending on the willingness of Amtrak to operate with only a two person crew (engineer and conductor). Amtrak's track charges, and power charges if the electrics are used, as well as diesel fuel, are going to be the same or nearly the same running a five or six car set versus a three car set, plus then you have to allow crews time to switch the weekday sets out. Finally, your passenger counts (barring major events in DC) will be substantially lower, reducing fare revenue taken in, and keep in mind that every monthly passholder who rides a weekend train contributes no additional revenue. So, when you actually look at the potential revenue versus the added costs, MARC/MTA would actually "waste" (i.e., spend) more money to operate those trains on the weekends than they do storing them for the weekend. Ironic, but that's how the transit economics work.

In a few select cases (probably all involving New York City as a destination) weekend commuter rail service can do fairly well on that cost-revenue tradeoff. However, most places where you see extensive weekend service (i.e., Philly, Boston, Chicago), its operated not because its a money maker, but because there is a political committment to providing that service. SEPTA, the MBTA, Metra, and the others that run on the weekend could save a bundle by not running Saturday or Sunday.

I would love to see DC and Baltimore get weekend rail service. I think it would be great for connecting the two cities, as well as making BWI a true "transit airport" for both cities. However, without a firm committment from the state to enhancing the transit network in that way*, all the service would do is increase the amount of subsidies needed to run MARC.

Another factor to consider is the chicken & egg debate over the transit feeder network. DC has an extensive urban transit network that can feed MARC trains in one direction, but Baltimore is still catching up. One thing that would make weekend service more attractive (more from a political, service standpoint, than a financial one) would be the expansion of local rail transit (light rail & subway) in Baltimore, as some studies recently have suggested, that will create more transit-friendly neighborhoods and hopefully boost system-wide ridership.

#239272  by doepack

octr202 wrote:In a few select cases (probably all involving New York City as a destination) weekend commuter rail service can do fairly well on that cost-revenue tradeoff. However, most places where you see extensive weekend service (i.e., Philly, Boston, Chicago), its operated not because its a money maker, but because there is a political committment to providing that service. SEPTA, the MBTA, Metra, and the others that run on the weekend could save a bundle by not running Saturday or Sunday
Political considerations no doubt was, and continues to be the driving force behind the operation of weekend service, and Metra is no exception to this rule. It should be noted however, that such was not always the case. CNW, a Metra predecssor, actually turned a profit on its commuter operations, one of the few railroads in the country to do so. Their investment in new gallery bilevel cars, the purchase of second-hand E units from UP during the 60's and 70's, in conjunction with the redesign of their Chicago downtown terminal North Western station (known today as Ogilvie Transportation Center) allowed them to upgrade all aspects of their commuter service, including weekends especially.

Their strong financial health was also the primary reason they were selected by a bankruptcy court to operate Rock Island's commuter service for a year upon that road's bankruptcy in 1980. However, given the decrepit condition of the Rock Island's equipment at the time, CNW operated that service at a loss, which was why they were more than happy to turn that operation over to the newly formed RTA. A 1984 RTA organization resulted in Metra's creation, which effectively ended CNW's days as a commuter operation, but aside from their temporary "caretaking duties" in the wake of Rock Island's bankruptcy, CNW operated their other three lines at a profit until the end...

#239314  by Tommy Meehan

I was told by an FRA official - who commutes on MARC - that Maryland's purpose in funding rail service is to take cars off highways, in the case of Penn and Camden Line trains, off I-95 which is at virtual gridlock during weekday rush hours. That the state decided it would be cheaper to run train service then build more highways or add lanes to existing ones.

On weekends I-95 is not as crowded, so the way Maryland DOT looks at it, train service would serve no purpose.

The trouble is, some transit studies have shown many drivers will not use a train service unless it runs at night, midday and on weekends. If they can't depend on it 100% of the time they won't use it all. That one of the best ways to increase rush hour ridership is to expand service off-peak and weekends.

I definitely think Baltimore and Washington should have Sat-Sun service, even if it's just one train with one crew shuttling back and forth every two hours.

#239367  by benltrain

Look everyone, here is the bottom line:

It is practical, and can happen. Partly there is already Amtrak service, and partly because there isn't enough political incentive, it apparently hasn't happened.

If there is some lobbying, this can happen.

#239463  by rafi

benltrain wrote:Look everyone, here is the bottom line:

It is practical, and can happen. Partly there is already Amtrak service, and partly because there isn't enough political incentive, it apparently hasn't happened.

If there is some lobbying, this can happen.
Well, I got a call from the MTA today and learned that I'm now officially a member of the new MARC passenger advisory council. This will be one of the issues I bring up at our first meeting next month....

-RRafi

#239478  by krtaylor

I'd be very interested to see any reports you're allowed to post of what goes on in there! I live in Alexandria so I don't vote, but it would be very helpful to be able to take the train up to BWI and fly Southwest.

Otherwise, I'll be using Dulles as soon as Southwest gets there. It's closer, but I HATE that airport, and BWI is great.

#239486  by rafi

krtaylor wrote:I'd be very interested to see any reports you're allowed to post of what goes on in there! I live in Alexandria so I don't vote, but it would be very helpful to be able to take the train up to BWI and fly Southwest.

Otherwise, I'll be using Dulles as soon as Southwest gets there. It's closer, but I HATE that airport, and BWI is great.
Yep, it's certainly my hope that I'll be able to report back some things here, but I really have no idea what the policy will be yet. I'll post something here when I know more, obviously...

-Rafi

#270799  by CHIP72

Hey, I just found railroad.net this evening and I think I'll be posting less on my sports message boards for a little while...

At any rate, I'm glad this is a topic that's been raised, because I've thought about it a lot recently myself. I live just outside of Harrisburg and have no problems driving to DC and using the Metro on the weekends, but I guarantee you that if there was weekend service on the Penn Line between Baltimore Penn Station and Washington Union Station (the most logical end points for initial weekend service) and there were a reasonable number of roundtrips (say six, which is the current number of roundtrips on the Amtrak Keystone Corridor between Harrisburg and Philadelphia), you can bet I'd use the MARC train to DC from Baltimore. (Actually, I'd park at Timonium, use the Baltimore light rail to the University of Baltimore stop and then use the light rail shuttle to Penn Station before getting on the MARC train.) There's a lot of people who travel between Baltimore and DC on the weekends, similar to what occurs on the larger but further apart Philadelphia/New York city pair, and if NJ Transit and SEPTA can provide extensive weekend service between Philly and NYC, why can't the Maryland Transit Administration do the same thing for the two primary hubs that attract most Maryland residents? To me, having weekend service on the MARC Penn Line is a no-brainer and something that should be seriously considered.

Now if the MTA and SEPTA can only consider filling in the only gap in alternate commuter rail service between Fredericksburg, VA and eastern Connecticut by closing the missing link between Newark and Perryville by opening and serving a station in Elkton...

#270952  by skm

I don't know much about the Harrisburg/Baltimore commute. Is there a need for MARC service between Harrisburg/York and Baltimore corridor?

#271128  by CHIP72

skm wrote:I don't know much about the Harrisburg/Baltimore commute. Is there a need for MARC service between Harrisburg/York and Baltimore corridor?
At this point, no. That wasn't what I was trying to say though.

There IS a significant amount of traffic from the greater York area to both Harrisburg and Baltimore, but those numbers are modest compared to "big" city numbers.