Railroad Forums 

• Pictures Taken 03-27-2006

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#231631  by Robert Paniagua

Nice shots, especially of the underground stops. Also, I guess the flip dot signs were too quick for you to get that destination you wanted..

#231655  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Nice shots, especially of the underground stops.

This is the primary reason why I purchased a Nikon D70s digital SLR.

Of the total of 154 pictures I took of metrorail, 115 were good enough to post, of those 71 required some amount of color and or gamma correction. The remaining 52 were unaltered. The raw images are 3008 x 2000 uncompressed files in JPG foirmat ranging in size from 2.1 to 3.1 mb. Almost filled up 2 256mb memory cards. Used the resizing software that came with the camera to compress the images at 50% and resize to 800 x 532. The Nikon software is far superior at resizing images than what I have been using.

Still have to take a few hundred more pictures before I can get the camera settings dialed in. What surprised me the most was the wide variation of setting required to get good pictures of the underground stations, even within the same station.

Also, I guess the flip dot signs were too quick for you to get that destination you wanted..

Those were some of the first pictures I took that day, hadn't figured out what was the best setting for the scanning speed of the electronic display. I have been wanting to get that 4 billion dollar picture for at least 4 years. This was the first time I asked a train operator to manually punch in the code. He was somewhat surprised that it came up on the display in his cab. The last time I saw it was when the roll signs were resetting on the Rohr cars back in the late 1970s.

#231871  by Carmine

Very nice shots! The Washington Metro is very nice and seeing those trains again brings me back memories! Thanks for sharing!

#232034  by Sand Box John

"Carmine"
Very nice shots!

Thank you.

The Washington Metro is very nice and seeing those trains again brings me back memories! Thanks for sharing!

It was my pleasure.

Nice to have a piece of equipment that gives me the capability of photographing those less the well lit station in their monumental glory.

#232343  by MACTRAXX

SBJ: good pictures! I looked at many of the shots and I wanted to see some of the newer stations that I have only been into maybe just once or twice..or in the case of the Green line S of Anacostia Never. Were the WMATA employees and police good to deal with and were you hassled at all? In any case-good work! MACTRAXX

#232544  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"
SBJ: good pictures! I looked at many of the shots and I wanted to see some of the newer stations that I have only been into maybe just once or twice..or in the case of the Green line S of Anacostia Never.

Have a bunch of stuff I shot with my old Kodak DC210 of the F Route Southern Green Line both during construction and after opening. At present time it is not posted on the web.

Here is the stuff I took of the G Route Blue line Extension;
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wma ... -route.htm
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wma ... 1-2004.htm
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wma ... 0-2004.htm
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wma ... 8-2004.htm

Were the WMATA employees and police good to deal with and were you hassled at all? In any case-good work!

Depends on the individual WMATA employ. Some will approach you and flat out tell you you can’t take pictures, some will ask you what and why you are taking pictures, in most cases nothing was said.

I was approached by one police officer, he asked to see the pictures I took in the tail track tunnels at Glenmont. I deleted them from camera as requested. I also showed him the remainder of the picture in the camera which he had not objection to.

The reason I took pictures of the tail track tunnels at Glenmont was to analyzes the configuration of the future extension knockouts that were built in to the tunnels.

WMATA’s official policy on photography is there are no restrictions on casual snap shot type photography.

#232896  by Robert Paniagua

The reason I took pictures of the tail track tunnels at Glenmont was to analyzes the configuration of the future extension knockouts that were built in to the tunnels.

Actually, I got to discover the provisions for North of Glenmont Future Extensions. I looked at Windows Live Local maps aerial, and followed MD Route 97 all the way thru Glenmont Station area, and when I floated North of the station and saw the tunnel portals north of Glenmont and saw the railyard which I saw provision for new future extensions. That area also looked cool too from the maps view.

#232987  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Actually, I got to discover the provisions for North of Glenmont Future Extensions. I looked at Windows Live Local maps aerial, and followed MD Route 97 all the way thru Glenmont Station area, and when I floated North of the station and saw the tunnel portals north of Glenmont and saw the railyard which I saw provision for new future extensions. That area also looked cool too from the maps view.

The tunnel portals and maintenance facility you saw at local.live.com are not part of the extension provision. The tunnel knockout for outbound track B1 can be clearly seen from the station platform. However the tunnel knockout for the inbound track B2 is not so easy to see from the platform as it roughly 800' further north beyond the crossovers north of the station at the beginning of the curve of the Glenmont Yard leads.

http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wma ... ic_ars.gif
 #233105  by Politburo

Although casual photography is permitted on Metro, on their terror scare posters WMATA still asks you to report people taking pictures.

#233896  by starionwolf

Sand Box John wrote: WMATA’s official policy on photography is there are no restrictions on casual snap shot type photography.
Nice photos! I can only take photos of the outside stations and the pylons. lol

And thanks for sharing the official WMATA's policy regarding photography. If I take a photo in an underground station, the photo will be blurry and dark. I guess I need a new camera.

Keep up the good work!

#234000  by Sand Box John

"Politburo"
Although casual photography is permitted on Metro, on their terror scare posters WMATA still asks you to report people taking pictures.

"starionwolf"
And thanks for sharing the official WMATA's policy regarding photography.

See pages 7-9 of WMATA Use Regulations for what permitted and not permitted.

On my next trip to WMATA land I plan to carry a copy of this document in my back pocket.

"starionwolf"
Nice photos! I can only take photos of the outside stations and the pylons. lol

If I take a photo in an underground station, the photo will be blurry and dark. I guess I need a new camera.

This is the primary reason I purchased the Nikon D70s here is a good example of the low light capability of the camera;

http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/other/DSC_01061.JPG

#234210  by Robert Paniagua

Thanks for putting up that WMATA Photo policy, I'll print it out and take it with me when I get downthere on what to do and what not to do.

#234234  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Thanks for putting up that WMATA Photo policy, I'll print it out and take it with me when I get down there on what to do and what not to do.

What is really important about this document is the month and year at the bottom of the cover page.
If you check the document properties you will find that it was created with Corel PDF Engine Version 11.2.0.238 on 09 22 2005 11:57:18.