Railroad Forums 

• MARC cars going to NJT; NJT locomotive coming to MARC

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1469095  by RailVet

Page 7 of the April 2018 issue of Railpace has a paragraph that reads:

Overcrowding Relief: NJ Governor Phil Murphy announced plans to place more than 40 railcars back into service on NJ Transit as an attempt to relieve overcrowded trains. NJ Transit is short by 38 cars to operate its full daily schedule. Plans are to place 20 passenger cars back into service that have been out of service awaiting installation of Positive Train Control equipment. In addition, 20 coaches will be leased from the Maryland Transit Administration (MARC). The leased MTA equipment will allow for spare cars to substitute for NJT equipment that is out of service for repair. In exchange, NJ Transit will be sending an older locomotive to the MTA for use on the Maryland commuter routes. To expedite the repair of NJ Transit equipment, the agency plans to outsource some work. Also, NJT will work with vendors to have parts more readily available. (I added the underlining for emphasis.)

Does anyone know the numbers on the MARC coaches going to NJT or the roadnumber of the NJT locomotive coming to MARC?
 #1469115  by blockline4180

It was originally supposed to be 20 MARC commuter cars going to NJT, but now it will just be one 10 car set. Presumably not enough MARC cars available as at least 12 are going to Amtrak for GCT service and another batch to LIRR.
 #1469239  by DogBert

blockline4180 wrote:It was originally supposed to be 20 MARC commuter cars going to NJT, but now it will just be one 10 car set. Presumably not enough MARC cars available as at least 12 are going to Amtrak for GCT service and another batch to LIRR.
How many Marc cars are available? Does Amtrak need 12? I was under the assumption they just needed cab cars for GCT. Last year the rumor was LIRR would get as many as 21 Marc cars for summer this year.
 #1469344  by andrewjw

MCL1981 wrote:MARC traded 10 passenger cars for 50 year old locomotive???? We just bought 8 new Chargers and rehabbed the HHPs. WTF do we need a GP40 for???
They loaned the passenger cars (which are providing no benefit sitting around on the property, and are old themselves) in exchange for ownership of the locomotive, if I'm not mistaken.
 #1469351  by blockline4180

andrewjw wrote:
MCL1981 wrote:MARC traded 10 passenger cars for 50 year old locomotive???? We just bought 8 new Chargers and rehabbed the HHPs. WTF do we need a GP40 for???
They loaned the passenger cars (which are providing no benefit sitting around on the property, and are old themselves) in exchange for ownership of the locomotive, if I'm not mistaken.
Interesting... Didn't realize they bought the NJT locomotive outright... Thought it was just a lease.. Or is that what you meant?
Regardless, can ya'll be on the lookout when the 10 car (set?) heads north??
 #1469424  by andrewjw

blockline4180 wrote:
andrewjw wrote:
Interesting... Didn't realize they bought the NJT locomotive outright... Thought it was just a lease.. Or is that what you meant?
Regardless, can ya'll be on the lookout when the 10 car (set?) heads north??
From what I've read the locomotive ownership transfer is permanant (not leased), and much less currency is changing hands (the locomotive is payment in kind for the loan of passenger cars).
 #1469443  by STrRedWolf

* Looks at the Odenton Protect engine 68, which is a GP40WH-2 *

Oh, I think having some GP40's around will be useful if MARC has to rescue a train...
 #1470075  by blockline4180

Looks like according to the post in NJT forum it is indeed the 4145 that MARC is getting.. From my experiences up here in NJ it does still have a HEP package so anything is possible in terms of using it for revenue service.... Dont they still have a few geeps of their own that they currently use with the single level cars??
 #1470082  by D40LF

blockline4180 wrote:Looks like according to the post in NJT forum it is indeed the 4145 that MARC is getting.. From my experiences up here in NJ it does still have a HEP package so anything is possible in terms of using it for revenue service.... Dont they still have a few geeps of their own that they currently use with the single level cars??
Yes, 5 of the 6 GP39s are still used in revenue service (they were supposed to be re-powered, but that never happened). When they run solo, they usually pull only 3 to 4 cars. 68 still has its HEP generator, so it can pull revenue trains as well.
 #1470798  by blockline4180

D40LF wrote:
Yes, 5 of the 6 GP39s are still used in revenue service (they were supposed to be re-powered, but that never happened). When they run solo, they usually pull only 3 to 4 cars. 68 still has its HEP generator, so it can pull revenue trains as well.
Did the NJT geep make it down there?? Photos elsewhere on the internet show about 8 MARC cars sitting at 30th Street in Philly on Saturday morning.
 #1470853  by RailVet

MARC responded to a request for information by stating: "Per management, Cars 7700-7708 and 7714 are going to NJT. We do not know the unit number we are getting as of this time." The loco number has been provided by others in this forum. Thanks!