Railroad Forums 

• MARC gives Bombardier operating contract extension

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1466632  by dowlingm

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/news ... ended.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"USA: Maryland Transit Administration has awarded Bombardier Transportation a $288m five-year extension to its contract to operate the Maryland Area Regional Commuter network’s Brunswick and Camden lines.

The existing contract awarded in 2012 covers the operation and maintenance of the fleet of diesel locomotives and coaches, including Bombardier vehicles, as well as customer services, station and facility maintenance and also infrastructure maintenance on the section of the Brunswick Line which is owned by MTA."
 #1466708  by STrRedWolf

That was... expected, to be honest. Bombardier hasn't had a major screw-up for the past five years, and I think bidding it back out would be a bit hairy at least.

I think there were some influences, though. The reworking of the HHP-8's I think was a big part. I also know MARC handles commuter buses as well (the division is technically named "MARC/Commuter Bus" at MTA Maryland), and they had a bit of a shakeup and consolidation of the contractors who are running the buses (although it would be interesting to build a short line to Annapolis along US 50...).