Railroad Forums 

• B30, now marked down to B19.95

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1439095  by farecard

WMATA has discontinued the B30 BWI bus on weekends. Period. Further, they have cut weekday service to one hour headways. Ridership has crashed, no surprise.

This is the stoopidist move they have made since Paul Wiedefeld took over. He ran BWI, he know this makes BWI far less attractive.

There is no viable alternative from Mont/PG to BWI. There is now weekend MARC service but for how long?
 #1439163  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote:WMATA has discontinued the B30 BWI bus on weekends. Period. Further, they have cut weekday service to one hour headways. Ridership has crashed, no surprise.

This is the stoopidist move they have made since Paul Wiedefeld took over. He ran BWI, he know this makes BWI far less attractive.

There is no viable alternative from Mont/PG to BWI. There is now weekend MARC service but for how long?
Well, no express bus from Greenbelt. The weekend MARC service has gotten too popular -- it won't get cut. Plus, Wiederfield was head of MTA Maryland before they brought up Ralign Wells from the rank-and-file. Wiederfield got out before too long at MTA.

But you do have some alternatives!
  • The 201 commuter bus is damn-near 24-7 from Gathersberg and Shady Grove Metrorail stops, and takes you to the airport.
  • From Greenbelt, take the RTA 302 or WMATA 89 up to Laurel, transfer to one of two buses: 409 to the Maryland Food Bank, transferring to the 501 to BWI... or 503 to the 501 at Columbia Mall (the Long Way Around)... but forget about Sunday service.
 #1439171  by farecard

The 201 commuter bus is damn-near 24-7 from Gathersberg and Shady Grove Metrorail stops, and takes you to the airport.

From Greenbelt, take the RTA 302 or WMATA 89 up to Laurel, transfer to one of two buses: 409 to the Maryland Food Bank, transferring to the 501 to BWI...

or 503 to the 501 at Columbia Mall (the Long Way Around)... but forget about Sunday service.
And the nearest Metro station? I've yet to find a bus system map on that awful MTA site.
 #1439427  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote:
The 201 commuter bus is damn-near 24-7 from Gathersberg and Shady Grove Metrorail stops, and takes you to the airport.

From Greenbelt, take the RTA 302 or WMATA 89 up to Laurel, transfer to one of two buses: 409 to the Maryland Food Bank, transferring to the 501 to BWI...

or 503 to the 501 at Columbia Mall (the Long Way Around)... but forget about Sunday service.
And the nearest Metro station? I've yet to find a bus system map on that awful MTA site.
Nearest Metrorail station to pick up these? Or nearest to BWI?
 #1439432  by farecard

STrRedWolf wrote: Nearest Metrorail station to pick up these? Or nearest to BWI?
It makes nil sense to go Ft Totten to Shady Grove on the Red Line just to get a 201 bus to BWI. But that bus is only MTA one serving BWI, and I can't see where else it meets up with easily with WMATA.

It looks like it goes within hundreds of feet of Briggs-Cheney Park & Ride [Z6's], but does not stop there. The Z6's out to Burtonsville stop in the evening. https://www.wmata.com/schedules/timetab ... 160327.pdf
 #1439492  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote:It makes nil sense to go Ft Totten to Shady Grove on the Red Line just to get a 201 bus to BWI. But that bus is only MTA one serving BWI, and I can't see where else it meets up with easily with WMATA.

It looks like it goes within hundreds of feet of Briggs-Cheney Park & Ride [Z6's], but does not stop there. The Z6's out to Burtonsville stop in the evening. https://www.wmata.com/schedules/timetab ... 160327.pdf
Aaaah, from Ft. Totten. Okay, I was missing that. Burtonsville would be the closest. Z6, Z7, and Z11... but ether Google's not up to date (and the Z6/Z7 buses are cut) or WMATA hasn't updated their website yet, because their map system isn't working.
 #1439654  by farecard

jcepler1 wrote:201 goes to the Burtonsville P&R. Metrobus Z7 goes there during rush hours. Z6 during middle of the day. Z11 during rush hour.
And Sat/Sunday?
This whole mess started when WMATA stopped all Sat/Sun B30's.
 #1439775  by mtuandrew

Surprised about this cut - isn't there an airport surcharge to make it a more profitable service? (Or does that just go back to MWAA?)

If only I were enterprising and had a Sprinter van. Of course, I'd still rather take the train, boarding either at WAS or (transferring from Blue/Yellow Rush+ to Orange/Silver) at NCR.
 #1439822  by farecard

Not everyone wants to go down to Union Station and fight crowds to take MARC to then take a shuttle bus......

Anyone "right" of North Capitol would go to Greenbelt and take the B30. It's cheaper overall, and more frequent, I suspect. West of there, guess they can take the Red to the 201.

WMATA+MTA could have the 201 pull through Briggs-Cheney P&R to offer better connections to the Z's; "better" including weekends when the B30 is dark.