Railroad Forums 

• WMATA - Back2Good

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1421544  by JDC

MCL1981 wrote:Union is all white edge lights now too. They're probably less expensive.
I believe it's a mix of less expensive, because they're using white LEDS, and also they are more visible. I can definitely say that, as compared to stations with the red lights, the white lights definitely get your attention. Riding from Dupont to Gallery Place, it seemed like most of the stations in between had switched to white. Maybe the Red line is the first to convert? I'm also seeing more of the brass at L'Enfant having been buffed, and the ceiling at Crystal City is all setup for the new ceiling tiles.
 #1421564  by MCL1981

Of course, they probably paid a consultant 2x the cost saved to determine if there would be a cost savings....
 #1421632  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
I'm also seeing more of the brass at L'Enfant having been buffed. . .

it's not Brass, it's Bronze.

Bronze: 88% copper, 12% tin.
Brass: 63% copper, 37% zink.

I should know because my fathers business back in the 1950s and 60 was the production of ornamental brass castings.