Railroad Forums 

• Metro train nearly runs over safety inspectors

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1408759  by Head-end View

I'm amazed that this situation is allowed to exist on WMATA. Compare these practices with the NYC Transit Authority's procedures on NYC Subways. Work zones are marked with flags/lights, trains reduce to restricted speed, sound the horn, etc. But then, WMATA has long been accused of lacking any safety culture. I can't understand how it got to be this way, and why it's allowed to continue this way. What would it take to wake up WMATA? Maybe enough fatalities on the tracks?
 #1408762  by STrRedWolf

Head-end View wrote:I'm amazed that this situation is allowed to exist on WMATA. Compare these practices with the NYC Transit Authority's procedures on NYC Subways. Work zones are marked with flags/lights, trains reduce to restricted speed, sound the horn, etc. But then, WMATA has long been accused of lacking any safety culture. I can't understand how it got to be this way, and why it's allowed to continue this way. What would it take to wake up WMATA? Maybe enough fatalities on the tracks?
There's too many fatalities on the tracks. WMATA basically has to be taken over, old regs and contracts thrown out, and everyone retrained. Oh, and no more overtime for dispatchers. You put in your 40 and you're done.