• Happenings on the MARC line

  • Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

  by STrRedWolf
 
I think it's time we have a general "what happened" inquery thread for MARC service.

For example: On Tuesday (2016-08-09) train 443 broke down between Odenton and BWI. 445 was told to rescue the passengers and was routed on track 2, forcing it to go on the low platforms at Halethorpe and BWI.

I got off at BWI (instead of Odenton) to free up the seat (my house is between stations).

My question here is, at what mile marker did 443 break down at? Was it north (and clear of) GROVE interlocking, allowing 445 to get to Odenton's high platform (and conversely, the Odenton Protect engine to get at 443)?
  by ThirdRail7
 
109ish which puts it south of BWI but north of Grove.
  by STrRedWolf
 
Catching up with some happenings:

Feb/March 2017: Track work up between Halethorpe and just north of West Baltimore, with tye replacement, padding replacement, and some rail replacement. West Baltimore's platform to get over Track 1 to Track 2 was also replaced. Halethorpe and BWI were platform bridged, which caused constant delays of 5-10 minutes at Odenton. (Work was between GROVE and BRIDGE interlocks)

Track work now is between New Carrolton and Bowie (CARROL and BOWIE). Seabrook is being bridged.

Today, March 14, 2017: Snow/sleet/rain/etc causing massive problems on the roads. MARC is on the "R" schedule, as Federal Office of Personnel Management is on a 3 hour delay and Gov. Hogan is recommending folks stay home. Related, Light Rail is running delayed between Hunt Valley & Camden Yards, with no service from Camden Yards south (take the 14/17).
  by avgeeky
 
Couple of notes:
This evening train 438 broke down between WAS and New Carrollton and somehow made its way back to DC. Was curious if anyone knew what happened and how it got back to WAS after breaking down.

Yesterday (3/29) MARC had a "Meet the Managers" day at WAS, so I popped by to drop some complaints (it got nasty very quickly, but I was nice of course) and to get some info on the locomotive fleet, especially the electrics. They confirmed the Chargers will be delivered in November after all the other states get theirs, with a target for entry to revenue service in January 2018.
The HHP-8s are still straggling along- 4911 is down with a busted transformer, 4914 is basically dead awaiting the outcome of 4910's rebuild. The manager said they were piloting a program to completely rebuild the Hippos with 4910: if it was successful they would redo all 6 and keep them alongside the Chargers (YES!). The other 3 are in and out of the shop, but they are decently reliable: at least 2 of them are available each day.
Here's the fun part: MARC 73 and 74 (GP39s) are confirmed to be repainted into the B&O scheme they once wore before. And the most exciting: IF 4910 is rebuilt and it works, and if 4914 then is rebuilt, the manager confirmed 4914 would wear the GG1's PRR GREEN LIVERY! Little blast from the past for those who got to see them live (way before my time :D) One might hope they don't have the word Pennsylvania written on the side too, or that would confuse a heck of a lot of people.
  by STrRedWolf
 
avgeeky wrote:Couple of notes:
This evening train 438 broke down between WAS and New Carrollton and somehow made its way back to DC. Was curious if anyone knew what happened and how it got back to WAS after breaking down.
Most likely one direction broke or it couldn't run past a certain notch, but it could "reverse" back into WAS and transfer to another set.
  by STrRedWolf
 
Penn line 517 hit a deer around West Baltimore this morning, causing enough damage to cancel the train there and had trains run on Track 2 between the B&P and south of BWI.

The deer must of walked up from Gwynn's Falls Park because deer in Midtown?!?
  by mmi16
 
STrRedWolf wrote:Penn line 517 hit a deer around West Baltimore this morning, causing enough damage to cancel the train there and had trains run on Track 2 between the B&P and south of BWI.

The deer must of walked up from Gwynn's Falls Park because deer in Midtown?!?
You would be surprised were deer can call home and where the forage for food.
  by Sand Box John
 
"mmi16"
You would be surprised were deer can call home and where the forage for food.


Yup, I have seen deer grazing inside the loop ramps of the I-695 295 interchange.
  by avgeeky
 
I was on 517 that morning, only now cooled down after the fiasco that erupted (1 1/2 hrs late to school, lots of angry people), where 3 trains got sent by without picking us up. The conductors never mentioned a deer-only repeating it was a brake issue. How does a deer strike impact the cab car? (my imagination is running wild, with guts spilled all over the window and such)
  by STrRedWolf
 
avgeeky wrote:I was on 517 that morning, only now cooled down after the fiasco that erupted (1 1/2 hrs late to school, lots of angry people), where 3 trains got sent by without picking us up. The conductors never mentioned a deer-only repeating it was a brake issue. How does a deer strike impact the cab car? (my imagination is running wild, with guts spilled all over the window and such)
They've been known to cut lines and really jam up the trucks, and I don't know if they were able to go all the way to West Baltimore or not. They may have, from what I could see when I passed by on 406. You were on #2 track, right? You were picked up by 419 and 421, but I bet there were some full Amtrak trains heading to DC they had to get through first.
  by avgeeky
 
Yeah, pulled up almost to west Baltimore (did not make it to the split to 4 tracks, IDK track number), but had to walk a little to transfer. 419 didn't pick up anyone, saw plenty of empty seats as it trundled by. 421 picked up almost everyone, but some poor souls were stuck waiting for 523.
  by dt_rt40
 
avgeeky wrote: The manager said they were piloting a program to completely rebuild the Hippos with 4910: if it was successful they would redo all 6 and keep them alongside the Chargers (YES!). The other 3 are in and out of the shop, but they are decently reliable: at least 2 of them are available each day.
Wow. It's a relief that MARC management has realized that, according to the laws of physics, 8000hp is more than 4400hp. Or just, the laws of math, really! There's no reason to toss out perfectly mediocre electric locomotives, when they can still accelerate a consist a lot faster than the charger is going to be able to. When they're good, the Hippos are good. It's just a matter of making sure they are good more often.
  by STrRedWolf
 
dt_rt40 wrote:
avgeeky wrote: The manager said they were piloting a program to completely rebuild the Hippos with 4910: if it was successful they would redo all 6 and keep them alongside the Chargers (YES!). The other 3 are in and out of the shop, but they are decently reliable: at least 2 of them are available each day.
Wow. It's a relief that MARC management has realized that, according to the laws of physics, 8000hp is more than 4400hp. Or just, the laws of math, really! There's no reason to toss out perfectly mediocre electric locomotives, when they can still accelerate a consist a lot faster than the charger is going to be able to. When they're good, the Hippos are good. It's just a matter of making sure they are good more often.
Well, it was indicated earlier when the Chargers were ordered that the Hippos were basically on probation -- ether they made the grade or they got replaced. Looks like they got a plan (rebuild them) to make 'em better.
  by Backshophoss
 
Who's rebuilding the MARC Hippo's? BBD??
  by STrRedWolf
 
Backshophoss wrote:Who's rebuilding the MARC Hippo's? BBD??
I would assume Bombardier or Alstrom (or both, because both built the Hippos the begin with). From an initial search, I think MARC is the only railroad running the Hippos.