Railroad Forums 

• New tunnel lights going in

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1390995  by MCL1981

This morning I noticed the tunnel lighting has been replaced at least between Metro Center and Judiciary Square. Holy crap. The tunnels are now brighter than the stations.
 #1391016  by JDC

I had the same thought when I road through the segment between L'Enfant and Gallery Place-Chinatown. They aren't new, but after the January fire they really cleaned them good. It was amazing how much you could actually see with them clean.
 #1391029  by MCL1981

That's just from cleaning?! I thought maybe they cleaned them. But then thought those bulbs must be 40 years old and there's no way they'd all be that bright. The lighting appeared brand new. I'm guessing when they were cleaning them, they also replaced a LOT of tubes.
 #1391049  by srepetsk

MCL1981 wrote:That's just from cleaning?! I thought maybe they cleaned them. But then thought those bulbs must be 40 years old and there's no way they'd all be that bright. The lighting appeared brand new. I'm guessing when they were cleaning them, they also replaced a LOT of tubes.
They've done a fair bit of relamping around the system. The best example I can think of is up around Van Ness to ~Medical Center (forget the exact limits of the work), but the tunnel lighting is certainly vastly improved in places.
 #1391282  by Chris Brown

Station lighting is being replaced too. I noticed at stations like Metro Center (lower level) and Foggy Bottom they are replacing the round sealing lights under the mezzanines with larger square florescent lights.

Its amazing how quickly Metro is getting things done now. However, I still don't understand why it takes so long to replace escalators. Entire buildings have gone up since the time Metro started replacing the Bethesda escalators and they are still not finished.
 #1391315  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
I still don't understand why it takes so long to replace escalators. Entire buildings have gone up since the time Metro started replacing the Bethesda escalators and they are still not finished.

Because all of the heavy lifting can only be done during non revenue hours. This also includes the delivery and storage of parts that can not be staged in area used by passengers. Stacking all the stair treads for one of the escalators would occupy roughly 1/5 of the floor space in the passageway between the bottom of the escalators and the mezzanine.