Railroad Forums 

• VRE Photo Policy

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1389147  by jackintosh11

I am currently on VRE Manassas line train 336, and I was taking pictures out the front window, but the conductor asked me to stop. I know that where I live (Philly/SEPTA), people are allowed to take photos on the train as long as they're doing so unobtrusively. Does anyone on here know what VRE's official photo policy is?
 #1389472  by CNJGeep

I don't see any reference to a photo policy in their FAQs. In fact, a search of their website didn't turn anything up for me.
 #1389559  by Backshophoss

Does any part of VRE's route run thru Quantico?
That's an active military base.
 #1389566  by RailVet

I'm familiar with the layout near the tracks through Quantico and have been in the area on occasion, and I'm not aware of any photo restrictions near the tracks. Usually military bases get touchy about pictures taken on an airfield's flight line (except during an air show, and then everyone's taking photos of everything -- go figure) but there shouldn't be any problem with taking pictures from a passing train.

What jackintosh11 encountered may not have been company policy, but rather an individual conductor's policy, which may have gone off the deep end.

Sometimes this sort of thing goes beyond the absurd. For example, I recall a volunteer (now long gone, thankfully) at the Walkersville Southern Railroad in Maryland who was bothering visitors during an operating weekend. A number of cars were awaiting or undergoing restoration in the small yard across the street from the station and some passengers, after riding the train, wanted to take some pictures. He shooed them away, telling them it was illegal to take pictures of railroad equipment in Maryland. (In case you're wondering, that's just not true, especially as the WS. Knowing the individual, it was much more likely he was simply enjoying the opportunity to throw his weight around.) Around this time the MTA's cops were routinely harassing rail buff photographers and threatening them with arrest, which was certainly a lot safer for the MTA cops than confronting actual criminals in and around the badlands of Baltimore. Later it came out that during annual training classes, MTA cops were being told that rail photography was perfectly legal, but they continued to harass rail photographers anyway.
 #1389653  by Literalman

I commute on VRE and have taken pictures inside and outside. I never heard anything about a rule against photos, which would be pretty hard to enforce nowadays since so many phones can take pictures. I also have seen people with tripods set up on the platforms and even a film class shooting a movie at the Fredericksburg station. However, once I was simply early at Fredericksburg (I'd been to a dental appointment, then went to the station and had an hour or so to wait for Amtrak) and a cleaning guy told me to leave. He said they had a problem with skateboarders. I said I didn't have a skateboard, and I didn't leave. Some people do like to push others around. Some people make up their own rules.
 #1389755  by jackintosh11

I emailed VRE about this and they replied with:
You are allowed to take photos onboard the trains and we will make sure that the crew supervisors inform their crews of this.
Unfortunately, it's a little late as I'm not going to be back in the area for a while and I probably won't ride on VRE anytime soon.
 #1390018  by davinp

I would recommend emailing VRE at [email protected] and telling them about the conductor who told you to stop taking photos, so they can speak with him.
Their is no policy prohibiting pictures that I am aware of.

Coming home Wednesday, I saw 2 boys at the Lorton platform with a tripod taking pictures as the train arrived & departed.
 #1390093  by njtmnrrbuff

I have been railfanning VRE every one to two years since 2009 and haven't had any issues. There is no photo policy-Alexandria, Manassas-you name it.
 #1395488  by davinp

The conductors are incorrect. From today's chat: Photography is encouraged

Mary from Manassas Park asks
I was on the mid day train last Friday and was taking a picture of the Potomac River when the female conductor informed me photography was prohibitive while on the train. I was hoping you could explain why? Doesn't seem like a safety issue.

VRE Response
Photography is permitted on the trains unless it is a threat to safety. You are allowed (even encouraged!) to take photos of your train and the views you enjoy along your trip. However, please respect other passengers who may not want their photo taken.