Railroad Forums 

• A good idea, but can't be done: MARC Orange Line shuttle

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1384748  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:It's only single tracking. SS to Takoma with trains every 12 minutes and a bus bridge. Taking a MARC train backwards from SS to Rockville, then Metro from Rockville to downtown would probably take 4x as long as just dealing with the single tracking.
The Purple Line would of been good for this, because it would of been a shorter ride over to the Green Line (College Park) to transfer to faster service. I mean, didn't they consider that starting in 1999? I actually did a web comic about that back then in college...
 #1384754  by Sand Box John

"STrRedWolf"
The Purple Line would of been good for this, because it would of been a shorter ride over to the Green Line (College Park) to transfer to faster service. I mean, didn't they consider that starting in 1999? I actually did a web comic about that back then in college...

Estimate Purple line running time between Silver Spring and Collage Park is I recall something around 40 minutes, the running time between Silver Spring and Bethesda is less then half that.
 #1384820  by farecard

MCL1981 wrote:It's only single tracking. SS to Takoma with trains every 12 minutes and a bus bridge. Taking a MARC train backwards from SS to Rockville, then Metro from Rockville to downtown would probably take 4x as long as just dealing with the single tracking.
Note what I said:

There are closings planned on the western leg........
 #1385035  by farecard

Somehow my point seems to be lost in space.
  • There will be closings at some point of at least parts of the Van Ness to Grosvenor segment. If not for SafeTrak, then for the water issue.
  • When it happens, there is no alternative to buses, at least before the Purple Line exists.
  • A MARC shuttle from Rockville to Silver Spring would allow passengers going from Shady Grove etc into the core a 2nd route.
I don't know where the idea I was talking about the NOMA-FTT closing came from; in that case, the Green Line already exists.

We can now talk about why that would or would not work. Including weekends.
 #1385065  by farecard

MCL1981 wrote:And it is only single tracking after 8pm, with trains every 15-20 minutes.

That was the grand plan before FTA got in their face.
And that work clearly was NOT solving the water problem once & for all.
A MARC shuttle from Rockville to SS would be worthless.
Perhaps, but worth examining in light of the future.