Railroad Forums 

• NTSB to release report into L'Enfant fire

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1383110  by MCL1981

This is painful to listen to. WMATA directing fire department personnel down the wrong tunnel. All the lights burned out or completely covered in dirt. Blocked walkways. No unified incident command.
 #1383117  by MCL1981

WMATA uses revenue trains full of passengers to investigate smoke incidents. WMATA needs to obey the laws of physics. Seriously. This is actually being said about WMATA in a public hearing by the NTSB. That's how bad it's gotten.
 #1383210  by srepetsk

MCL1981 wrote:WMATA uses revenue trains full of passengers to investigate smoke incidents. WMATA needs to obey the laws of physics. Seriously. This is actually being said about WMATA in a public hearing by the NTSB. That's how bad it's gotten.
Used; using revenue-trains with passengers on them is not current practice. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though anybody at the NTSB, FTA, TOC, or WMATA know when said change to offloading before inspecting for smoke/fire took place.
 #1383245  by STrRedWolf

MCL1981 wrote:Much like WMATA doesn't know why nobody at WMATA actually called 911 to report their tunnel was on fire with 300 people trapped.
I really doubt anyone at WMATA Rail Dispatch knew there *was* a fire in the tunnel in the first place.
 #1383267  by MCL1981

The MTPD officer on board the train, as well as the train operator immediately reported there was heavy "smoke and fire" in the tunnel. They could see an orange glow in front of the train, which the presumed to be a fire, and reported a fire. They used the word fire, and right away. NTSB reports nobody at ROC could tell them why nobody called 911. Their presumption is the ball was dropped due to the mass confusion, disorganization, lack of training, lack of procedures, etc. "I thought someone else did it".
 #1383284  by JDC

MCL1981 wrote:The MTPD officer on board the train, as well as the train operator immediately reported there was heavy "smoke and fire" in the tunnel. They could see an orange glow in front of the train, which the presumed to be a fire, and reported a fire. They used the word fire, and right away. NTSB reports nobody at ROC could tell them why nobody called 911. Their presumption is the ball was dropped due to the mass confusion, disorganization, lack of training, lack of procedures, etc. "I thought someone else did it".
And this is why people self evacuate. They already have an inkling Metro has no idea what it is doing, and then add in some fear, panic and confusion by personnel onsite and people are going to take matters into their own hands.
 #1383289  by MCL1981

Yep. On any other railroad, I would have a modicum of faith in being told to stay on the train because it's the safest place to be. But not here. We're being told to stay on the train, not because it was determined to be safer, but because they're too inept to determine one way or another. It's just the default. This was an incredibly bad situation for the passengers to be in. How do you decide if it's safer to stay on the train, or safer to venture out into a dark tunnel filled with smoke? I feel bad for the train operator on this thing, who was just as helpless as the passengers. But if I were him, I would be telling ROC to shove it up their ass and do what I need to do. Move the train back, turn off the HVAC, whatever. Sorry I'm not waiting for you intempt bunch of morons to decide whether or not I should die today.
 #1383296  by schmod

The press have seemingly glossed over the point, but the #1 and #2 recommendations in the NTSB report (which are among the most strongly-worded portions of the report) would put WMATA under FRA oversight.

Several of the other recommendations include audits of all other underground US transit systems.

While the report doesn't go as far as to suggest it, I suspect that there may be a push to end FRA waivers entirely, or create an FAA/FRA-like organization to regulate transit.

The NTSB don't appear to be very confident in the FTA, and I'm inclined to agree. Transit needs an effective regulator that focuses on improving safety instead of pointing fingers.
 #1383310  by MCL1981

If WMATA was an airline, they would make some of those discount soviet airlines look magnificent.

The issue of FRA vs FTA vs TOC/WMATA came up numerous times in the hearing as well. One of the NTSB board members clearly was making it a sticking point in her questions at every turn. It was made crystal clear in the hearing that WMATA basically makes up their own regulations, and can delete or ignore their own recommendations at will when they become inconvenient. There are no consequences for not following their own rules. They can also therefore choose to accept or reject the recommendations/demands of the TOC or FTA because "you're not the boss of me." It's not that there is figuratively no accountability. It is specifically designed to prevent accountability. My brain hurts just talking about it. I've explained this lunacy to many of my coworkers in the past. But after seeing this stuff and reading about it, they'll all like "wow you really weren't exaggerating in all your ranting".

The hearings also made it crystal clear that none of the above would be possible under the FRA. The regulations and rules would be real, not fake. None of this "I reject your reality an substitute it with my own" bullshit. There would be consequences for blowing them off, both corporate and personal. Just like at any other railroad. So it's not wonder WMATA doesn't want FRA oversight. It would be draconian rule compared to how they operate now. But in my opinion, it's the only way anything changes.

The new GM is doing the right thing. He's not accepting the old ways, and he's cleaning house the best he can. But I think these issues are way more systemic that P-Dubs can change on his own. The media exposure is gaining him the backing of the public and media. But he needs the backing of the law. Right now, there literally is no law.